cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey which VPN Works on GT-AC5300 Router setup as VPN Fusion Client

speed1m
Level 7
I would like to conduct a survey to list the vpn subscriptions that work on the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. This will help members to save some time to find the t VPN subscriptions that work, and help members to make the wise choice based on their needs.

Definition of work:
Only comment for GT-AC5300. (NOT RT-AC5300)
Survey is limited to only VPN Fusion Client - OPENVPN setup (can be UDP or TCP)
Able to activate in the server list
Able to activate in the exception list
Able to by pass Geo-Restriction (Netflix, Hulu or Playstation etc)
Able to use P2P (torrent etc)

Working

1) Express VPN (only tried UDP)
2) Airvpn (Only tried UDP)

Not working
1) Nordvpn
2) Purevpn
15 REPLIES 15

While we Wait for a Firmware update we should entertain ourselves with some topic to compare or maybe improve our VPN Speeds with suggestions if any.
My ISP Download Speed is up to 350Mbps, Upload up to 45Mbps, when VPN activated (NORDVPN) my speeds fluctuate between 60 and 145Mbps and Upload speeds between 11 and 23Mbps.
I'm happy with these speeds considering that when using ExpressVpn my download speeds were around 30 and 60 Mbps*

*I must add that at this moment Nord Vpn is the most stable for this router concidering all the bugs it has.

carwash wrote:
While we Wait for a Firmware update we should entertain ourselves with some topic to compare or maybe improve our VPN Speeds with suggestions if any.
My ISP Download Speed is up to 350Mbps, Upload up to 45Mbps, when VPN activated (NORDVPN) my speeds fluctuate between 60 and 145Mbps and Upload speeds between 11 and 23Mbps.
I'm happy with these speeds considering that when using ExpressVpn my download speeds were around 30 and 60 Mbps*

*I must add that at this moment Nord Vpn is the most stable for this router concidering all the bugs it has.

what openvpn version you have installed on your GT?, mine openvpn 2.3.2 which is old and unsecure !!!
if upgraded to 2.4 at least all vpn providers will work on it.:(

to be quite honest I don't know what version vpn im using.

I'm using the latest Firmware!
I have tried Express Vpn, HMA and pureVpn *on my GT Fusion setup and they all work but not at all stable especially with the latest firmware, were I have NordVpn working for the past month or so with out a problem at all, in fact I noticed that I get faster speeds with Nord

Yes, AirVPN works, but what kind of speed is it I'm getting? 27-29Mbps download and 44-49Mbps upload when I have a 250/250 fiber connection. This is total BS and worthless!

Anyone know a VPN service that actually gives you free connection speed, not only brag about it, and hope those that connect doesn't test it?

speedtest.net gave me 45/65, a little better, but not even close to 250/250.

Answer from AirVPN:
"We're very sorry, you can't get that performance with your router CPU, as the processing power to encrypt and decrypt AES-256 is insufficient."

Extremely disappointing that the "incredible" CPU Asus has put in one it's best routers isn't up for the job. I manage to get a reasonably stable 50/50Mbps if I connect locally, in my own country.
[/URL]

To get it working I followed this page: https://support.purevpn.com/onboarding-v2 by using the files and keys from that guide it worked. They have made it super hard to find the site for some reason tho. They send the site *in the order mail anyway.

aWoods
Level 7
speed1m wrote:

Definition of work:
Only comment for GT-AC5300. (NOT RT-AC5300)
Survey is limited to only VPN Fusion Client - OPENVPN setup (can be UDP or TCP)
Able to activate in the server list
Able to activate in the exception list
Able to by pass Geo-Restriction (Netflix, Hulu or Playstation etc)
Able to use P2P (torrent etc)

Working

1) Express VPN (only tried UDP)
2) Airvpn (Only tried UDP)

I can confirm that GT-AC5300 work on SneakFlix VPN (streaming Netflix, Hulu and torrent), not sure about Playstation. Only tried UDP, plain OpenVPN files.