cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starlink and VPN on GT-AX11000 (OpenVPN)

Kishlette
Level 7
Wondering if someone can help me with setting up a VPN tunnel on my GT-AX11000 when using Starlink.

So, I have the Starlink modem bridged/in bypass mode and connected to the GT-AX11000 (using the Starlink ethernet adapter). Everything is working great and I have no trouble using the internet through my router...but I just can't get my Surfshark VPN to work the way it used to.

Prior to using Starlink, I had the VPN set up on the GT-AX11000 just fine using VPN Fusion (OpenVPN). Just to be clear, on the Asus, I went to LAN > DHCP Server and manually assigned IPs to a number of my devices. Then in VPN > VPN Fusion, I've added added the Surfshark credentials to the server list. It shows as connected. In the table below, I've put the devices through the Surfshark connection and applied that. It used to work fine.

Exactly the same set up with Starlink and, when I check the IP of the devices, it now shows Starlink's IP, not Surfshark's. (see edit below)

I'm not exactly an advanced user so don't know where to start troubleshooting this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I've looked further and it's not quite so straightforward as I indicated above. So, when the VPN is set up on the router, it does seem work for some devices, for others it works intermittently and for others not at all. It's not consistent and not reliable. So, instead, my solution right now is to set up the VPN on each device. It's not a bad solution.
2 REPLIES 2

jzchen
Level 14
I don't have experience with Starlink nor VPN, but I did some digging on the Surfshark website. Did you make sure you downloaded/uploaded the proper configuration file for the location you selected? (Each location has a different configuration file). Per Sharklink:

"Every server (location) has a configuration file that you will need to connect to the VPN."

I'm afraid you didn't specify whether or not you changed the Sharklink server location you selected....

jzchen wrote:
Did you make sure you downloaded/uploaded the proper configuration file for the location you selected? (Each location has a different configuration file).

Yes. I used the correct udp ovpn file from Surfshark. You can't get it to show 'connected' without doing so.