cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up access to LAN with OpenVPN?

CanadaBri
Level 8
I have my OpenVPN setup and configured, and I can connect - but the only thing I can access is the router itself.

I do have the configuration set to push LAN to clients, and my config allows clients to access LAN and Internet - but I still cannot connect (or even ping) anything that is on the LAN tht is not the router itself.

any ideas?

-EDIT : Actually, I think I am seeing the issue... I have some NetGear switches plugged into my ASUS Router, and it is the devices plugged into those switches that I am not able to reach. I am assuming a static route is needed somewhere?
11 REPLIES 11

I matched the setting in the images exactly and I still can't get LAN thru TUN... In fact my friend has the exact same router and I tried it with his and he also has the same issue. I'm starting to wonder if it is a firmware problem. When I try TAP the VPN connection becomes unstable and the TAP Adapter goes from showing internet to no internet repeatedly every 30 seconds to one minute... This also happens on my friends router. Pretty much OpenVPN is completely non-functional on 2 routers. I have even completely reset the router and same problems return. I'm tempted to try an older firmware if this router lets you downgrade just to see what happens. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time guys!

Update: Keep playing with and in part realized the error of ways.. so when I reset the router I forget to give the NAS a static IP back so I was sending a ping to the wrong IP. With the settings from HK-47 I do in fact have LAN access to at least ping but I am unable to access the NAS ( //nas ) via file explorer or map a network drive via IP and I can not see any other clients on the LAN under file explorer either. I still have no idea why TAP acts up or I would just use that.

HK-47
Level 10
It should be \\ip of nas\

you are using //?

Also check if you can get to the web interface of the NAS over vpn. If so check the firewall settings of the NAS. I have a Synology Nas connected to my router and am able to get to it over VPN. Also turn the firewall off on windows and the NAS and the check the firewall on the router. If you can ping it it should be working. Also make sure you re-download the config file. Are you using windows? If so do you have the file discovery turned on?

Can you show a screen shot of your routing log from the router? And what ststic ip address are you using for the NAS? Can you access the NAS locally on the network without vpn?
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset