cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX89X issues with Chromecast devices

HFB_Zulu
Level 7
Halp!

In my home i have a number of Google Home Mini's (the v1 model) - basically one in each major room - because it was cheaper to buy them (particularly on sale) than Chromecast Audio + Speakers, and they were an easy solution to be able to cast music to any given room.

My problem is that i recently upgraded my Router to an ASUS RT-AX89X (we have a TON of devices and upgrading to a 12 stream router has really helped with congestion) from a Netgear Nighthawk (RAX40)....

And suddenly my Google Home Mini's dont realiably appear as castable devices in any app, including Google Home. My Home Hub (also the original v1) exhibits the exact same behaviour when on the 2.4Ghz band, but since it supports 5ghz, i had it connect to that network and it now always appears - Same with my nVidia Shield TV Pro (2018), the two Chromecast w/Google TVs (Google's new Android TV dongle). Even when the other devices dissappear, these are always available.

Theyll appear correctly for a few hours after a router reboot/setting change (which soft reboots the WiFi if you change a Wifi only setting), and then.. poof. Gone.

They still function as Google Home devices - you can still talk to them, use them to control things, ask them questions, etc - so they are obviously still connected to the network and getting an internet connection - but they no longer appear as devices that can be cast to.

Its honestly been hair-pullingly frustrating since they worked absolutely fine on both the previous router (Nighthawk RAX40) and the one before that (the very first Nighthawk - R7000 or whatever).

Ive searched and searched but i cant find any settings that seem to alleviate the problem. About a week ago i thought i had it licked with IGMP snooping (defaults to off on the ASUS router for whatever reason) and they stayed visible/castable for the whole week, but when we returned from a brief trip to a cabin (Fri/Sat/Sun) with some friends - on Sunday they were gone again.

Any help is much appreciated and if thre's any information anyone needs to help figure this out, let me know!
4 REPLIES 4

wilsondenq
Level 10
HFB_Zulu wrote:
Halp!

In my home i have a number of Google Home Mini's (the v1 model) - basically one in each major room - because it was cheaper to buy them (particularly on sale) than Chromecast Audio + Speakers, and they were an easy solution to be able to cast music to any given room.

My problem is that i recently upgraded my Router to an ASUS RT-AX89X (we have a TON of devices and upgrading to a 12 stream router has really helped with congestion) from a Netgear Nighthawk (RAX40)....

And suddenly my Google Home Mini's dont realiably appear as castable devices in any app, including Google Home. My Home Hub (also the original v1) exhibits the exact same behaviour when on the 2.4Ghz band, but since it supports 5ghz, i had it connect to that network and it now always appears - Same with my nVidia Shield TV Pro (2018), the two Chromecast w/Google TVs (Google's new Android TV dongle). Even when the other devices dissappear, these are always available.

Theyll appear correctly for a few hours after a router reboot/setting change (which soft reboots the WiFi if you change a Wifi only setting), and then.. poof. Gone.

They still function as Google Home devices - you can still talk to them, use them to control things, ask them questions, etc - so they are obviously still connected to the network and getting an internet connection - but they no longer appear as devices that can be cast to.

Its honestly been hair-pullingly frustrating since they worked absolutely fine on both the previous router (Nighthawk RAX40) and the one before that (the very first Nighthawk - R7000 or whatever).

Ive searched and searched but i cant find any settings that seem to alleviate the problem. About a week ago i thought i had it licked with IGMP snooping (defaults to off on the ASUS router for whatever reason) and they stayed visible/castable for the whole week, but when we returned from a brief trip to a cabin (Fri/Sat/Sun) with some friends - on Sunday they were gone again.

Any help is much appreciated and if thre's any information anyone needs to help figure this out, let me know!

Hi Please send us an feedback mail and PM me your email, we can check logs.

wilsondenq wrote:
Hi Please send us an feedback mail and PM me your email, we can check logs.

Is there a specific link i should send a feedback email to?

JAMESBHARRIS
Level 7
HFB_Zulu wrote:
Halp!

There is something weird going on with the firmware. On mine, I have a Grace Digital radio that wants uPNP & IGMP snooping enabled. If I do this, works fine but go to bed and next morning, the LAN, WAN, 5ghz & 2.4ghz are all just on steady and everything is disconnected. Reset everything to defaults, add back my 2 AiMesh nodes and it will work fine from now on. I am by no means a WiFi settings expert but I don't see how those two settings essentially kills the whole network.
I have tried twice. The thing that is confusing is if I set it to defaults and run everything as is, other than being unable to see the radio in the phone app, the router has been rock solid. At this point, I'm just hoping firmware updates will fix it eventually.

JAMESBHARRIS wrote:
There is something weird going on with the firmware. On mine, I have a Grace Digital radio that wants uPNP & IGMP snooping enabled. If I do this, works fine but go to bed and next morning, the LAN, WAN, 5ghz & 2.4ghz are all just on steady and everything is disconnected. Reset everything to defaults, add back my 2 AiMesh nodes and it will work fine from now on. I am by no means a WiFi settings expert but I don't see how those two settings essentially kills the whole network.
I have tried twice. The thing that is confusing is if I set it to defaults and run everything as is, other than being unable to see the radio in the phone app, the router has been rock solid. At this point, I'm just hoping firmware updates will fix it eventually.

Yeah its rather bizzare what causes it to tank and what doesnt.

I just found when trying to add a new smart plug to my network, that it simply WILL NOT connect if the router has been active more than a few days.

I reset the router and poof it connected immediately.

Its just so random and weird.