cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX86U Throttling

Novak921
Level 7
I'm at a loss. Just installed a RT-AX86U and have 1G / 1G. Hard wired, no issues 950 / 950 down. Wireless over 5Ghz, I can't get over 300Mbps on the Speed Test app using Galaxy S21 Ultra which is connected at 5Ghz 160mhz within 10ft.

I have QOS turned off. I'm on the latest firmware, I've factory reset it. I have 5Ghz set to non busy channel.

I saw a post on here that said Asus documented this as a known problem? Someone also said Asus gave them a custom firmware? Has anyone else run into this problem with any Asus model and how to fix?

I don't understand what's causing it to cap. I should easily be seeing 600+ over WiFi
3 REPLIES 3

Saltgrass
Level 13
I get a little confused when we involve Phones and networks. For instance, when you say 5G are you referring to the router or the 5G network Cell Phones use?

You phone is logged into the SSID for your 5 GHz network on the router and it is turned on for Wi-Fi?

Do you have a computer on the same SSID and it is showing very high link speeds, like 2402 Mbps ?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Thanks for reaching out. Galaxy S21 Ultra is connected to WiFi which has a link speed of 2.4Gbps and says it's using 160mhz . It's the only AX device I own

The laptops I have are AC and the link speed is showing as 1300Mbps on the 5Ghz band. I'm able to get about 400Mbps down on the laptop.

Saltgrass wrote:
I get a little confused when we involve Phones and networks. For instance, when you say 5G are you referring to the router or the 5G network Cell Phones use?

You phone is logged into the SSID for your 5 GHz network on the router and it is turned on for Wi-Fi?

Do you have a computer on the same SSID and it is showing very high link speeds, like 2402 Mbps ?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I went to look for the specs for the Wi-Fi on that phone and it states it is a Wi-Fi 6e, which means the fast network is on the 6 GHz radio which the RT-AX86U does not have. Even it if did have that radio, that availability has not yet been turned on.

I have a 6E router and it has the 6 GHz radio but nothing yet can see it. I do not know what that phone's 5 GHz capability is but the phone uses the Broadcom BCM4389 chip for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

The 160 MHz number refers to bandwidth which Wi-Fi 6 and 6e do utilize if the router has that enabled.. But if the phone is connected to your 5 GHz network, then it should be faster unless something in the Router might be limiting that stream.. And the Router does have settings with parameters as to how certain devices connect. If you are using SmartConnect, it might check that out.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200