cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX86U pro: will it deliver speed of 1,150Mbps to my desktop? If yes, how to connect correctly?

Kokkolis
Level 7

Dear All,

I am based in the U.K., and have just agreed to a 1Gb service with Virgin Media, with their Hub 5.

Not being optimistic about the performance of the Hub 5, I have decided to purchase an ASUS router (have been using a Linksys WRT3200 ACM but the 5Ghz channel is playing on me and i have not been very happy with the Linksys, so time to move on). So, I am thinking of getting the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro.

As the Virgin 1Gb service delivers download speed up to 1,150Mbps, I want to make sure that the full speed of 1,150Mbps arrives onto my desktop (and not limited -say at 950 Mbps!!).

I am trying to establish whether the RT-AX86U Pro is a model that will deliver this, and if yes, how to make the connections and set up the software for this to happen.

In my mind, I probably need not one but TWO 2.5Gb ports: one to connect to the Virgin Hub 5 (so the router receives the full 1,150 and not below 1Gb), and one 2.5Gb port to connect the ASUS router directly to the desktop (so, in my mind, this port cannot be one of the four yellow 1Gb ports).

Is my assumption correct? If yes, how do I make the connections? Do I connect the Virgin hub to the blue or to the green port of the rear panel of the ASUS? And where the desktop connects to? What settings of the software do I need to activate?

If the RT-AX86U Pro will not do this, which ASUS model is right for me? Or which other ASUS router will deliver to my desktop the full 1,150Mbps other than the RT-AX86U Pro?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Christos

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jzchen
Level 14

The easiest way is the way you mention, with 2 2.5 G ports one WAN and one directly to your PC, (which hopefully has a 2.5 G or higher spec port).  I’m afraid the RT-AX86U Pro only has one so it won’t be so simple.  I took a peek at what I believe is the next model up, the RT-AX88U Pro, and it specifically notes dual 2.5 G ports.  I think this is your best/safest bet…

EDIT-  It appears the difference in suggested price is £52 but I think it’s well worth it vs trying to LAN aggregate…

View solution in original post

jzchen
Level 14

Sorry I’m spamming your thread, there’s another ASUS option I just ran across perusing ASUS networking products, the TUF-AX6000.  At £179.99 it’s even less costly than the RT-AX86U.  (It has dual 2.5 G ports that you’d need).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jzchen
Level 14

The easiest way is the way you mention, with 2 2.5 G ports one WAN and one directly to your PC, (which hopefully has a 2.5 G or higher spec port).  I’m afraid the RT-AX86U Pro only has one so it won’t be so simple.  I took a peek at what I believe is the next model up, the RT-AX88U Pro, and it specifically notes dual 2.5 G ports.  I think this is your best/safest bet…

EDIT-  It appears the difference in suggested price is £52 but I think it’s well worth it vs trying to LAN aggregate…

A huge “thank you” for the very helpful answers… I have installed today Virgin’s Hub 5 in modem mode and still on the old Linksys WRT3200 router. I am inclined to go for the RT-AX88U Pro.

Having looked carefully at the rear panels of both RT-AX86U Pro & RT-AX88U Pro, I can see indeed that the 88 has clearly labelled two ports as 2.5Ghz, whereas the 86 has labelled only one. This baffles me though..why would you put just a single 2.5Ghz port and having the remaining LAN ports restricted at 1Ghz? What’s the point of receiving say 1,150Mbs from Virgin but then sending out to LAN ports up to 1000Ghz? If you don’t send out uncapped exactly what you’ve put into it, why bother with putting just a single 2.5Ghz port in the first place?!!!
I can see the point of having TWO 2.5Ghz ports has per the 88) where one of the 2.5Ghz ports receives a signal higher than 1Ghz, and the other 2.5Ghz port sends it (uncapped!) to a device to make full use of the full speed available.

Needless to say since there’s a 2.5Ghz input, all LAN outputs should be able to handle the 2.5Ghz (and not just one of the LAN ports!)…

In any case, thank you very much once more.

Kind regards,

Christos

The single 2.5 Gbps port is a compromise of sorts.  (Their high end GT-AXE11000 has a single 2.5 G port as well, which people came across your exact concern...).  There are two ways you can use it:  you can use it as WAN (so it can take the 1,150 Mbps in your case,) and share that with say for example two PCs 575 Mbps each.  Conversely if your ISP is 1 G Fiber they are usually at maximum 941 Mbps.  You’d use the 1 G port for WAN.  That frees up your 2.5 G port for something like a NAS.  Your 2.5 G NAS can support 3 833 Mbps simultaneous transfers to three devices/PCs.

BUT- As per your concern, it would be impossible to pass it through to one single device/PC via LAN, which can be frustrating if ever desired/needed…

jzchen
Level 14

I found these instructions how to change the Hub 5 to “modem mode”.  I hope they do not surprise you with a 5x as noted on the bottom:

How to turn on modem mode on the Virgin Media Hub 3, 4 or 5* and Super Hub 1, 2 or 2AC

Check you’re connected to the Hub before following these steps to enable modem mode.

1. Enter 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your browser. This is the Virgin Media Hub IP address.

1. Select Next and enter the Hub settings password which is on the base of the Hub. This isn’t your WiFi password.

1. Select Super Hub

1. Select Modem Mode

1. Select Enable Modem Mode

1. Select Apply Changes

*Not currently available for Hub 5x

jzchen
Level 14

Sorry I’m spamming your thread, there’s another ASUS option I just ran across perusing ASUS networking products, the TUF-AX6000.  At £179.99 it’s even less costly than the RT-AX86U.  (It has dual 2.5 G ports that you’d need).