I need some networking advice. I have a RT-AX82U which I recently set up (used to use an old AT&T router). For some reason, I can no longer use remote casting (Windows) to use my Surface Pro as a wireless monitor. I did not change anything else on my PC (Win 10) or the Surface Pro (Win 11), so I assume it must be a router setting. Chromecast works, as does Steam Big Picture, but I cannot figure out what is going on with the wireless monitor setup.
Has anyone run into this before? Is there an obvious setting that could be causing this? I have not found a solution online. Any advice is welcome!
When I try to connect to a wireless monitor, neither can find the other (with my old router, they just showed up in Windows). I checked the Windows error log, and I did not see anything. I tried ping the laptop on my desktop, and they see each other. So basically, neither will show up as a wireless monitor (I tried it both ways). Both systems are up-to-date with Windows and drivers, and neither has any other technical issues that I can identify (connectivity to the network and web is fine).
I can see other advice when I try to connect (Bluetooth), and I tested Bluetooth connectivity on both (although not sure that matters here). Both work and are able to pair.
The router is on firmware 18.104.22.168.388_23285-g5068da5. The router log has this entry related (PC):
Aug 22 09:42:30 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): eth5: Auth [PC MAC address], status: Successful (0), rssi:-69
Aug 22 09:42:30 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): eth5: Assoc [PC MAC address], status: Successful (0), rssi:-69
It happened once, but nothing in the past 10 minutes.
They are not on a Guest Network, (I’ll assume not)?
Check the Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional (tab) for a setting Set AP Isolated, make sure it is set to no. Especially for the WiFi band they are both connected to, 2.4 or 5 GHz.
AP Isolated is off. And yeah, the first thing I checked was Guest Network. 😉
They were both on 2.4, but still nothing.
I tried to connect my laptop to the surface pro, and that worked immediately! So, it is not the router. All I can think of is that something must have changed with a Windows update as I have not changed my network settings on the PC or the Surface Pro.
The only other thing that just popped into my head right now is Windows has a setting to set a WiFi SSID as a Public or Home network, and that somehow switched from Home to Public when you swapped in the new ASUS router...