cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AC86U - Network Map not working corectly

MonkY
Level 9
Hello!
I have upgraded from Asus RT-AC87U to Asus RT-AC86U, and now in my Network Map - Clients List, i can't see the name of the devices/computers anymore. All i see is their MAC number.
I have tried different firmware versions (now using the latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20308) and installing the firmware using the restoration tool. Also, i have tried to set the DHCP manually, but still can't see the name of the computers.
Can somebody know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U
23,836 Views
7 REPLIES 7

MonkY
Level 9
Btw, i have also bought another RT-AC86U and one more RT-AC66U. The new RT-AC86U acts exactly like my first one does (shows the MAC numbers insted of the clients names), while the RT-AC66U shows the names of the clients in Network Map (and the MAC numbers on the third column). So i am now 100% sure there is an issue with the RT-AC86U firmware. Or maybe i need to set something different for the RT-AC86U.

Meanwhile, i have also noticed that RT-AC66U is displaying an URL on the IP when the device has a index page (allowing me to click directly and go to that device admin page), while RT-AC86U shows no URL for any device...

What is going on with this router's development? Is there any fix for these issues?
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is your RT-AC86U configured as a router or an access point?

Private message me the following (best to upload these 2 files to cloud storage and share the links):
1. DHCP leases (.jpg)- can be retrieved from System Log --> DHCP leases.
2. Full content of url (.txt), copy and paste into browser --> router.asus.com/client_function.js
_____________________________________________________________
FPS, Racing, and VR Gamer / Tech Enthusiast / ROG Admin

One is them is configured as a router, and the other one is an access point in the same network.
I will try to send you what you requested.
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U

You can fix this by manually configuring the DHCP for the devices that you are interested in. WAN -> DHCP -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

You can then add things the way you want to. I do realize that this is not the solution that you want, but I've faced this problem before as well; albeit with a different router. Its a temporary fix until the router just magically finds a way to get itself in order.

gamesbrainiac wrote:
You can fix this by manually configuring the DHCP for the devices that you are interested in. WAN -> DHCP -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

You can then add things the way you want to. I do realize that this is not the solution that you want, but I've faced this problem before as well; albeit with a different router. Its a temporary fix until the router just magically finds a way to get itself in order.

They are already configured manually via DHCP. I have over 30 devices with their assigned IP in there, but they don't appear in the Network Map with the names i setup...

Anyway, it's clear now that this router is under-developed. I have received an oficial answer from Asus tech support:
Thank you for your feedback. For now, this is the way that the Asus RT-AC86U functions. It has a different version of firmware than the RT-AC66U so the same options will not be available in the user's interface.

It feels like a big letdown to find out one of the latest and best Asus routers doesn't have the options/functions one of their older/slower/cheaper model already have... By the time they implement these functions into AC86U, it will probably become as old as AC66U... then i will buy a newer version... and the cycle goes on...
Well, maybe my next router will not be an Asus anymore. I am tired of waiting and beta testing final products...
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
MonkY wrote:
They are already configured manually via DHCP. I have over 30 devices with their assigned IP in there, but they don't appear in the Network Map with the names i setup...

Anyway, it's clear now that this router is under-developed. I have received an oficial answer from Asus tech support:

It feels like a big letdown to find out one of the latest and best Asus routers doesn't have the options/functions one of their older/slower/cheaper model already have... By the time they implement these functions into AC86U, it will probably become as old as AC66U... then i will buy a newer version... and the cycle goes on...
Well, maybe my next router will not be an Asus anymore. I am tired of waiting and beta testing final products...


I will need to rectify that response. I have checked the RT-AC86U personally, and there is something wrong with your setup. Please provide the info I requested so I can help you with it. Below is a screenshot from the RT-AC86U:
72296
_____________________________________________________________
FPS, Racing, and VR Gamer / Tech Enthusiast / ROG Admin

bigks
Level 7
MonkY wrote:
Hello!
I have upgraded from Asus RT-AC87U to Asus RT-AC86U, and now in my Network Map - Clients List, i can't see the name of the devices/computers anymore. All i see is their MAC number.
I have tried different firmware versions (now using the latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20308) and installing the firmware using the restoration tool. Also, i have tried to set the DHCP manually, but still can't see the name of the computers.
Can somebody know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!



Have you entered a value for the DNS server in your DHCP settings? Remove it and let your DHCP clients use the router for DNS. It should fix the issue. I had the same problem when I used an external DNS server in the DHCP settings. Voodoo.


BK