cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT AC5300 Printer Problem

shortcut
Level 7
I have an issue with my RT AC5300 I purchase a new printer because I started having connection problems with my wifi printer such as it being off line or sending a page to be printed and it prints 30 minutes later. So I purchased a Brother MFC-J995 printer which the 5300 router will not let me setup.

The printers IP 192.168.1.110 is listed in the 5300 routers Dashboard but when I run the Brothers software it will not find the printer and let me run the software. After a day of working on it using 3 different PC’s I remembered I had an old ASUS RT AC68P router so I hooked it up and within 15 minutes the printer was installed and working all 3 PC's. I then reconnected the old Cannon printer and the issues were gone.

I contacted ASUS support I informed them that 5300 was just out of warranty and explained the problem I’m having. They connected me to a Tech which gave me a case number in total I worked with 4 techs all the way up to level 3 support. As of last resort I gave the tech remote access to my PC and when he could not get the printer to connect I was told by the tech they never ran into this problem before and was going to e-mail me a RMA which I never received.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this? The all 3 channels on 5300 seems to work fine for wifi.
4 REPLIES 4

apn
Level 7

I stumbled across your old post, during searching for a similar problem:
wireless devices got wrong DNS answers for local devices.
mine is a RT-AC53, configurated als AP, so no firewall should be active.
since brother software does the connection with WDS, which needs DNS to work, you seem to have the same problem. and i have my confirmation that this is not an isolated case for my device.
looks like this is an Asus problem.
somehow broadcast is blocked by a still active firewall or some kind of "isolated" connection for wifi.

I have two Brother printers BUT they are both on Ethernet.  As a crapshoot have you tried enabling UPnP?

apn
Level 7

hi jzchen, thnx for the answer.
i have no settings fpr UPnP in AP-mode (nor firewall-settings) on RT-AC53.
here some more details to understand the problem:
wireless clients DNS-Server settings is on "serverx". set by DHCP and checked with `ipconfig /all`.
but when client tries to access AD-Server "serverx", it gets a public ip from DNS. checked with `nslookup serverx`.
soo.. i done all the flushdns and so on.. also placed an host table entry for "serverx" on firewall (seperate device, which is connected between local network and internet router) i case of somehow it is answering = no effect.
connecting the client via wired network, with same network settings = everything is fine.
connecting it using a different AP (revived fritzbox just for now testing) = everything is fine.

but the strangest thing is, sometimes it s working, and after a while its stopps.
just tested at the beginning of this post (it worked) and now again (it showed wrong ip) 😄
so as soon as Asus RT-AC53 is in the middle, some traffic is blocked, or rather replaced (as if the AP forwards the dns request to someone else).

ps
removing standardgateway from RT-AC53 LAN setting, makes it impossible for all its wireless clients to resolve names

Hmmm.  I've tinkered with ipconfig /all before.  That is in Windows.  Just to clarify, this is a problem occurring on Windows machines, tablets (Android, iOS, or both), etc.?

For Windows:

A very long time ago DHCP servers were notorious for changing IP addresses of printers so it would be a pain, you'd need to reset the correct IP address in Windows Printer Management or even delete the printer and re-add it.

Solutions:

The repair guy that used to fix my old Brother printers noted one solution, (that I confess I haven't tried but makes sense):  to set the printer up with a static IP address.  Is this something you've tried?  (From your latest post it seems like you are more network knowledgeable than me to be honest).  I'm afraid I'll need to do some more research on the problem.  I just found one of the Brother printers I have has "WiFi" on it so I could possibly try using it that way when nobody's around.

I shared with him my personal solution which I found on my own, although I haven't had to use it in a VERY long time as the IP address change is extremely rare now, maybe the last 10-15 years.  In the printer driver settings, at least there used to be, a way to use the Node name aka NetBIOS Name, vs using an IP Address.  Please let me know if that's an option for you?