cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing rules for Dual WAN

JeffLo
Level 10

anyone know how to set this Routing rules for Dual WAN?

currently testing dual wan

Primary WAN = main isp with fiber connected
Secondary WAN = USB dongle

both are connected i can switch internet if i swap Primary and Secondary WAN, but i read that you can assign a pc in your network to use a specific wan using the routing rules for dual wan i just cant seem to make it work anyone know how to input the rules?
8 REPLIES 8

Saltgrass
Level 13
I would have to suggest the Source IP address is something external to your local network, like an Office IP address or VPN or some other static IP address. Selecting all would allow for the Destination IP address to get everything through just the one WAN..

The Destination IP is your computer or those other choices.

The WAN entry is straight forward.

If you were really going to set this up, the relative speeds of the two WANs would be relevant.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

JeffLo
Level 10
ok thanks got it

JeffLo
Level 10

this is my current setting but it wont route it just load balance and random change which one to use it jumps from wan and usb connection, what im missing?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I can't really test anything since I don't have 2 ISP connections. I mentioned the speed of the USB device would be relevant. If the USB is slower then you may want to set the ratio based on those speed differences. Let's say you have a 1 Gbps and a 250 Mbps connection. Maybe that would need a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio. There is probably a reason the default settings are WAN and USB and the ratio of 3:1.

Beyond that, you seem to be porting everything through both WANs.. Isn't that how it works if you leave it in Failover? You can do load balancing without using Routing rules.

If you look at the Traffic Analyzer, you can select to watch Wan Traffic through the WAN and you may see both WANs listed, not sure.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

JeffLo
Level 10
ok got this working, other place ive read was confusing, so i applied my knowledge in setting yup my mikrotik network and its the same, you need to set a rule for incomming and outgoing, in short the rules need to go both ways not just 1 entry like what other forums are suggesting and thats why thier not making it work 100% and yes the lack of documentation on asus on how to use this is sad

JeffLo wrote:
ok got this working, other place ive read was confusing, so i applied my knowledge in setting yup my mikrotik network and its the same, you need to set a rule for incomming and outgoing, in short the rules need to go both ways not just 1 entry like what other forums are suggesting and thats why thier not making it work 100% and yes the lack of documentation on asus on how to use this is sad

I've been trying to this to work forever, but been unable. I have two ISPs and want route certain WANs to certain devices. Could you post how you got it working or a screenshot?

For example, let's say my Xbox is 192.168.50.25. I want my xbox to only receive a connection from primary wan, but I also want my primary wan to send to all other devices - I just don't want my secondary Wan connecting to the IP. How would you do this?

Joshphs wrote:
I've been trying to this to work forever, but been unable. I have two ISPs and want route certain WANs to certain devices. Could you post how you got it working or a screenshot?

For example, let's say my Xbox is 192.168.50.25. I want my xbox to only receive a connection from primary wan, but I also want my primary wan to send to all other devices - I just don't want my secondary Wan connecting to the IP. How would you do this?

Has anyone figured this out yet and documented the steps?

This guy made an excellent YouTube video on how it works and settings. Source IP is the LAN IP of the device/computer you want to route through a specific WAN. (I would have thought a WAN side IP just from the word "Source" as well)...

https://youtu.be/t2kW0SBmTjI