cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rapture GT-BE98 Wi-Fi 7 Router

Saltgrass
Level 13
It seems the release of the Wi-Fi 7 Router, GT-BE98 will be "soon".

Considering, it took 2 years for the user to gain use of the 6 GHz radio after the AXE11000 was released, anyone have any guesses as to how long it will be before user access to Wi-Fi 7 compatibility will actually happen?

As far as I can tell, there are no Wi-Fi 7 network adapters yet available for sale. Can they modify current devices to use a 320 MHz bandwidth, I don't know. I probably won't be an early adopter of this technology.

Thanks for reading.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
19 REPLIES 19

I see “Notify me” and “$699” regarding the RT-BE96U on the ASUS (US) site but nothing regarding the GT-BE98.  I’m afraid I’m looking at other manufacturer’s offering since it’s already released and better specs.

I think I saw that page once but then it disappeared.  Since the price is probably incorrect, perhaps just a glitch on that page.

Maybe this weekend something will change, as suggested by @labo .

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I just recently purchased a replacement desktop as my old one just stopped working basically.  It has Windows 10 Pro built in as well as Edge browser.  (Didn’t Microsoft get in trouble for packaging/offering IE for free this way before)?  Anyways not wanting “bloat ware” I haven’t installed Chrome yet.  Interestingly Edge was able to download my Chrome settings very nicely that I felt no need to download Chrome…

What I notice different is when going to an ASUS website Chrome would immediately pop up a notice if the site was non-US and give two hyperlink buttons one to continue or to “switch to the appropriate site for your country”.  You may be on an ASUS international site I suspect.  Edge doesn’t provide any such warning.  The US site is simply ASUS.com/us btw, and it has been very behind regarding WiFi 7 info…

(Just an FYI)…

https://www.asus.com/us/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-be96u/

I saw today that the Wi-Fi standards have not yet been finalized.  The prediction was for last Quarter this year or first quarter in 2024.  I suppose ASUS could not actually start selling the new Router until those Standards are finalized.  

Possibly, they could take care of some issues with Firmware changes.   The MLO capability might be fun since it might be able to connect on multiple channels at the same time.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I guess you’re a dedicated ASUS aficionado.  For me it’s more about pushing the envelope.  The TP-Link deco BE95 being (pre)sold on Amazon has:

6 GHz-1 11520 Mbps, 6 GHz-2 11520 Mbps, 5 GHz 8640 Mbps, and 2.4 GHz 1148 Mbps. (rated 33000 Mbps) With MLO it would easily dwarf the 10 Gbps Ethernet backhaul I am slowly building.  (I need one more 8 port 10 G switch)…

If they sold a 1 pack or I find someone (preferably local) to split the 2 pack I would set my AXE16000 to AP mode and build a mesh behind it…

IEEE currently have it down for late 2024 before 802.11be is fully approved:

https://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/Reports/802.11_Timelines.htm#tgbe

In the history of the IEEE 802.11 standards, it's common for manufacturers to ship equipment based on a draft standard, once they feel the hardware capabilities are reasonably well established.  With 802.11be being heavily based on the preceding n, ac, and ax standards; and the bandwidth and modulation parameters being known, alongside the big picture for the new protocol features, the hardware requirements are reasonably well known to the point where manufacturers can take a gamble on producing hardware which should cope with any late revisions to the standard.

Most of the time it works out ok, with the devices released based on the draft only needing a firmware/driver update for the final standard.

jzchen
Level 14

asus.com/us/ finally has WiFi 7 under Networking / IoT / Servers

but the only option listed is the RT-BE96U.  It seems they will roll that out first as there's a "Notify me" link.  No mention about the ROG GT-BE98.

I have been watching the specs. page on the sales site.  If there are no specs. posted I assume they will not be pre-selling or even selling it soon..

The specs are there for the BE95.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

The BE95 (by TP-Link if you haven’t made a typo) has been on sale on Amazon and Best Buy, on and off, since the start of the month.  I don’t know why sales on Amazon have paused it seems only readily available from Best Buy at the moment…

jzchen
Level 14

RT-BE96U switched to Preorder now with an estimated ship date of 6/27...