cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions About Moving to 3.0.0.4.388.23012 on GS-AX3000?

dpwhite
Level 9

I have been waiting for an update for this router of mine that will fix a problem I have discussed here. From what I see in the release notes: (a) I am not at all convinced that this problem has even been addressed and (b) I see a TON of other stuff that seems quite new an different - and therefore a potential source of many problems.

So I wonder if, once I have manually updated to the new firmware, if it is possible to roll back to the version 3.0.0.4.386.43588 that is now on the router and seems, other than the problem mentioned above, reasonably good and stable in my environment? If so, what is the process?

Obviously, I will backup the router settings before doing anything. But I do have some changes in NVRAM including script_usbmount for installing/using some Entware utilities. So I don't even know if this stuff is all saved in the router settings file. Are they?

And does anyone know if installing the new firmware will wipe out my current settings? I have a large number of reserved LAN addresses and do NOT want to have to re-create all that.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Murph_9000
Level 14

Yes, you should be able to freely go back and forth between 3.0.0.4.386 and 3.0.0.4.388.  I don't think I've tried going from 388 to 386, but I can certainly go back to 3.0.0.4 from 9.0.0.6.  I would do a factory reset when switching between them, as there's enough of a difference that I think it's worthwhile ensuring that nvram is clean and using the defaults from the version it's running.  The normal upgrade process didn't clear configuration on my GT-AX6000, if memory serves.  As long as you have a good backup of your current config from 386, you should be able to revert to that if you run into trouble.  I believe the settings file that you can download from the router is essentially just a dump of nvram.  You can save a text dump of the config with "nvram savefile" (defaults to saving in /data/nvramdefault.txt).

For a clean config, without the hassle of reconfiguring the DHCP bindings via the GUI, something like the following should work:

1. Update firmware
  2. Factory reset
  3. Basic LAN & WAN config
  4. Use the command line to set custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist in nvram to their old values.
  5. Set any other nvram variables you need.

There's a fair chance 388 could fix your crashing bug, as that bug was sounding like it could be in the Linux kernel or kernel drivers (which should be updated with the version change, I think).

jzchen
Level 14

If you have the time you can run a test:

download the prior firmware release

backup your current settings

delete a single LAN reservation

upload that prior firmware

restore your saved settings

verify the deleted LAN reservation was restored

….