cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New wifi, old router Rapture GT-AC5300

Canadianhybrid
Level 7

Hello fellow gamers.

I purchased an ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 ages ago, and plugged it in for the first time about a year ago after I moved into a new place. I had Shaw wifi originally. I set up all 3 of the networks with different names and passwords. However, today, I switched to Telus wifi, as they made an offer that seemed almost too good to be true. The install of the wifi went well, the technician unplugged my router to make room for the new modem, and as soon as he left, I went to work hooking up my devices to the new network. But, when I turned on my laptop, the Telus network was nowhere to be found. I'm not super nerdy when it comes to computers and how to tweak them, so I did the basic troubleshooting, restarting, etc. with no luck. I then remembered that my router was unplugged. So I plugged it back in, and my router networks came up and I was able to connect to them.

What I'd like to know is, how can I make it so my Telus network is visable and an option to connect to, should something happen to my router, or I choose to get rid of it? The rest of my devices are hooked up to Telus' equipment, but for some reason, my laptop cannot find the signal, and will only connect to my ROG Rapture.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

jzchen
Level 14

Is this a Windows laptop?  What are some of the other devices you were able to connect?  Do you know the specific modem/router you were given?  Besides this page showing possible equipment I can’t find any instructions to direct you to I’m afraid:

https://www.red-dot.org/project/telus-internet-product-family-53832

I read of a My Telus app is that what you use to configure it?

Hi jzchen,

Yes, I have an Asus ROG laptop running Windows that's almost 10 years old :(. I was able to find and connect to my new internet on my smart tv, and a couple android phones. The equipment I was given was what I think they call the Telus network hub. It's a slim white square box. It has a coax port and a bunch of ethernet ports. I also got the wifi6 booster, which is a white cylinder with 3 ethernet ports and a coax port. I should mention that the hub is feeding internet into the coax ports. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I assume not, since other devices are able to detect it. But I have the booster connected to the internet via coax, then my router to the booster to connect my computer.

I hope that helps....

I think I figured it out! Because my computer is so old, and the new wifi is wifi6, the hardware driver software cannot detect the signal. So I have to see if the driver is up to date, or even capable of receiving the signal.

Great work!  This WiFi analyzer app may help you figure out what your laptop can “see” vs what it can’t:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/9NBLGGH33N0N?hl=en-us&gl=US&rtc=1

jzchen
Level 14

It’s A LOT, but I found this tech support page that tries to address many possible issues.  #2 specifically notes invisible SSID and I would suggest starting there for now.  WiFi 5 appears to be released in 2014 and WiFi 4 2008.  Do you know which WiFi is supported on the laptop?

Disabling AX on the Telus router/hub would be my next guess.

IF the laptop only supports 2.4 GHz then the higher chanels might not be visible to the laptop per the article…

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/no-wifi-ssid-access-points-found-by-windows-10/?amp=1