cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with an AXE16000 and an AX11000 as a repeater

Armand28
Level 7
Ok this is making me crazy. *I tried adding the 11000 as a mesh node and it keeps dropping and only uses 2.4g as a backhaul, so I set up the 11000 as a repeater, connecting to 5G1 on the 16000.
When the 11000 connects, it knocks down the 16000 and when it (the 16000) comes back up the 5G1 channel is set to control channel 0 and the SSID isn’t visible nor can you connect to it manually. If I then reboot the 16000 then reboot the 11000 I can sometimes get them to connect for a while, but randomly the 16000 will drop everything and reset the 5G1 to channel 0 and it cannot be changed, and I have to systematically reboot everything again.
*I have an AC88U set as a repeater on the 2,4g band it stays locked and reconnects if the 16000 reboots, but the 11000 will not and must be manually rebooted any time the 16000 drops.
I’ve tried:
- upgrading all the firmware
- switching the 11000 to Merlin firmware
- using 5G2 as backhaul (same deal, resets and takes down the channel, resetting it to control channel 0)
*- disabling AX, disabling 160MHz, disabling Wi-Fi agile connect, manually setting control channels, etc.

It feels like the 16000 recognizes the repeater and is trying to reserve the 5G1 channel as a dedicated backhaul, but it doesn’t do this consistently and when it does do this (resets and puts the 5g1 to control 0)nothing including the repeater can connect to the channel.*

Reading online it sounds like a hardware issue, but since it’s mainly acting up when another ASUS router connects as a repeater I’m wondering if it’s firmware as the channels seem stable as long as they aren’t connected to an ASUS router.
I’ve applied for an RMA and while I’m waiting I’m willing to try anything! *Thanks for any ideas. ***
Just did a factory reset on the 11000 just in case there was some random setting left over from my messing with Merlin and Aimesh, but it didn’t fix it. *
29 REPLIES 29

Armand28 wrote:
Tried with them 1 foot away. It only set up a 2.4g backhaul, which is said was weak, and would not reconnect when the 16000 rebooted. Had to revert back to repeater.

As I watched in the beginning the backhaul would jump from ethernet <-> 5 Ghz <-> 6 GHz as well as vary connecting to other nodes. (Not ideal setup. Eventually it settled with 1 Gbps wired backhaul, I had accidentally connected to the blue WAN ethernet port on the back of the AXE11000 which is limited to 1 Gbps. Once I tried the 2.5 Gbps port it imediately showed 2.5 Gbps. I did not need to reboot or reset it...)

The only thing I could suggest trying while waiting to ship it back is hard reset everyone, then start with the AXE16000 setup, then go down from highest spec to lowest and try again maybe with SmartConnect ON this time. (Keep in mind most ASUS routers allow Binding for your IoTs/security cams. I'm not even sure the Lyra Voice wasn't just defective and that's why it didn't support binding. There was no 2.4 GHz radio signal). Not sure about these but I'd keep AX mode ON, enable 160 MHz, and set channels Auto. If it doesn't settle down eventually (I think mine took a day) then send it back....

jzchen wrote:
As I watched in the beginning the backhaul would jump from ethernet <-> 5 Ghz <-> 6 GHz as well as vary connecting to other nodes. (Not ideal setup. Eventually it settled with 1 Gbps wired backhaul, I had accidentally connected to the blue WAN ethernet port on the back of the AXE11000 which is limited to 1 Gbps. Once I tried the 2.5 Gbps port it imediately showed 2.5 Gbps. I did not need to reboot or reset it...)

The only thing I could suggest trying while waiting to ship it back is hard reset everyone, then start with the AXE16000 setup, then go down from highest spec to lowest and try again maybe with SmartConnect ON this time. (Keep in mind most ASUS routers allow Binding for your IoTs/security cams. I'm not even sure the Lyra Voice wasn't just defective and that's why it didn't support binding. There was no 2.4 GHz radio signal). Not sure about these but I'd keep AX mode ON, enable 160 MHz, and set channels Auto. If it doesn't settle down eventually (I think mine took a day) then send it back....

I did factory resets on both units. I am Worried that if ii is a bios issue then an RMA will not fix it, so I am on the fence.Â*

This is very frustrating situation. Why AXE1600 is not friendly with any Aimesh setups? No matter what I use it for (Main router or nodes) it always get 2.4Ghz backhaul 2ith weak connection even they are all within 5 meters apart. I'm on the latest firmware of course and tried factory reset and fresh start but still no luck. 95237

Instructions for setup say to set up close to each other, then move them further away (in the middle between main router and dead zone). My nodes are in different rooms and/or on different floors...

Have you tried the "Optimization" button?

jzchen wrote:
Instructions for setup say to set up close to each other, then move them further away (in the middle between main router and dead zone). My nodes are in different rooms and/or on different floors...

Have you tried the "Optimization" button?

Trust me, I done all that. It randomly connect with 5Ghz backhaul but 90% it goes back to 2.4Ghz and yes I used optimization button many times with no luck. Do you have AXE1600? Do you use Aimesh? Cause everyone having the exact same issue. I also used Merlin firmware but same behavior.

I do have an AXE16000 and AXE11000. Let me pull the Ethernet connection to the AXE11000 and see what happens...

jzchen wrote:
I do have an AXE16000 and AXE11000. Let me pull the Ethernet connection to the AXE11000 and see what happens...

Thank you so much. Also can you keep it unplug for few days and restart the router to see if it goes back to 2.4Ghz? Much appreciated

Hi,

I left it unplugged for a few hours. Once unplugged it set up a 6 GHz backhaul. (I do not have any 6E devices only the two routers). My RT-AX86U lost it's ethernet connection and set up a 5 GHz backhaul. I clicked Optimize and wired backhaul came back for the RT-AX86U. Since my family is also using the internet I'm afraid I stopped testing as it had definite stability issues...

Armand28 wrote:
I did factory resets on both units. I am Worried that if ii is a bios issue then an RMA will not fix it, so I am on the fence.Â*

Good luck trying to RMA anything with ASUS at the moment. I sent in my old AX11000 a while back and they finally just refunded me. They had no parts to service the router, no replacement router and no "newer" router to replace it with. Very bizarre.

ahfoo
Level 13
Only if you connect your AX11000 to your AX16000 via wired, In that way your 5GHz_2 will become the backhual. That is what what I configured my mesh system with 3 AX11000 ( my third AX11000 bought from used market to replace my GTT5300, and it too coneected via wired).