cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with an AXE16000 and an AX11000 as a repeater

Armand28
Level 7
Ok this is making me crazy. *I tried adding the 11000 as a mesh node and it keeps dropping and only uses 2.4g as a backhaul, so I set up the 11000 as a repeater, connecting to 5G1 on the 16000.
When the 11000 connects, it knocks down the 16000 and when it (the 16000) comes back up the 5G1 channel is set to control channel 0 and the SSID isn’t visible nor can you connect to it manually. If I then reboot the 16000 then reboot the 11000 I can sometimes get them to connect for a while, but randomly the 16000 will drop everything and reset the 5G1 to channel 0 and it cannot be changed, and I have to systematically reboot everything again.
*I have an AC88U set as a repeater on the 2,4g band it stays locked and reconnects if the 16000 reboots, but the 11000 will not and must be manually rebooted any time the 16000 drops.
I’ve tried:
- upgrading all the firmware
- switching the 11000 to Merlin firmware
- using 5G2 as backhaul (same deal, resets and takes down the channel, resetting it to control channel 0)
*- disabling AX, disabling 160MHz, disabling Wi-Fi agile connect, manually setting control channels, etc.

It feels like the 16000 recognizes the repeater and is trying to reserve the 5G1 channel as a dedicated backhaul, but it doesn’t do this consistently and when it does do this (resets and puts the 5g1 to control 0)nothing including the repeater can connect to the channel.*

Reading online it sounds like a hardware issue, but since it’s mainly acting up when another ASUS router connects as a repeater I’m wondering if it’s firmware as the channels seem stable as long as they aren’t connected to an ASUS router.
I’ve applied for an RMA and while I’m waiting I’m willing to try anything! *Thanks for any ideas. ***
Just did a factory reset on the 11000 just in case there was some random setting left over from my messing with Merlin and Aimesh, but it didn’t fix it. *
29 REPLIES 29

Interesting, if that is true then I just need to figure out how to force my backhaul to 5g, but first I need to have those routers connect consistently.

Armand28 wrote:
Interesting, if that is true then I just need to figure out how to force my backhaul to 5g, but first I need to have those routers connect consistently.

If you are setting up WiFi backhaul start with router and node near each other ie within 2 m, (per ASUS instructions). Setup the AiMesh. Then move the node to the desired location. (Technically ASUS says move the node in the middle between router and dead zone).

Try to check they may be too far from each other...

I can confirm weird stuff happens to the backhaul of an AXE16000 router and AXE11000 as a node. Please note this is with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet backhaul connected and backhaul priority set to Auto. I even tried Cat 6 550 MHz cable gonna try Cat 8 tomorrow. (Inside wall is Cat 5e 550 MHz cable).

A screenshot that I took. One time it was connected to the RT-AC68U...

For some reason the ethernet backhaul was showing 1 G today. I tried the older cable as I was waiting for Amazon to deliver the Cat 8 cable. If the router/node determines the ethernet connection is not stable, as in disconnecting and reconnecting, in Auto mode it will switch to wireless backhaul. This is a screenshot of the status. The rooms these are in is one on top of the other, (2nd floor and 1st floor)...

Got 40 ft Cat 8 (2000 MHz) cable from Amazon and ran it, plugged it in, then checked if Auto really works well. (I still wasn't sure that the wiring in the wall wasn't also part of the problem, too long a run, or both). Low and behold. Auto appears to be working well.

jzchen wrote:
I can confirm weird stuff happens to the backhaul of an AXE16000 router and AXE11000 as a node. Please note this is with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet backhaul connected and backhaul priority set to Auto. I even tried Cat 6 550 MHz cable gonna try Cat 8 tomorrow. (Inside wall is Cat 5e 550 MHz cable).

A screenshot that I took. One time it was connected to the RT-AC68U...

I finally gave up. Â*I am just going to use the 11000 as a repeater and manually bounce the routers every time they disconnect and wait for a fix. Â*

I've only had my AXE16000 a few days. This afternoon I checked the ASUS Router app and the AXE11000 was offline. I came to look at it and it was on. (I thought I pressed on the cable connected to the wall and caused something). I powered it off and on with the power switch, then it came back online.

I'm assuming they aren't very far from each other in your setup?

jzchen wrote:
I've only had my AXE16000 a few days. This afternoon I checked the ASUS Router app and the AXE11000 was offline. I came to look at it and it was on. (I thought I pressed on the cable connected to the wall and caused something). I powered it off and on with the power switch, then it came back online.

I'm assuming they aren't very far from each other in your setup?

You are having the same issue I am having. Â*If the 16000 reboots, the 11000 won’t automatically reconnect and I have to manually reboot it and it connects. Â*The connection says “failed authenticationâ€� or something, so I assume it’s a firmware issue. Â*Anyway if my 5ghz channel detects radar and has to shift from channel 100 to 160 to avoid DFS issues I lose my 11000 which sucks because channel 100 is where you get a 160MHz channel. Â*

Armand28 wrote:
You are having the same issue I am having. Â*If the 16000 reboots, the 11000 won’t automatically reconnect and I have to manually reboot it and it connects. Â*The connection says “failed authenticationâ€� or something, so I assume it’s a firmware issue. Â*Anyway if my 5ghz channel detects radar and has to shift from channel 100 to 160 to avoid DFS issues I lose my 11000 which sucks because channel 100 is where you get a 160MHz channel. Â*

Per this article channel 36 is another 160 MHz channel:

https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012060379-Available-channels-on-the-5-GHz-Wireless-ne...

jzchen wrote:
If you are setting up WiFi backhaul start with router and node near each other ie within 2 m, (per ASUS instructions). Setup the AiMesh. Then move the node to the desired location. (Technically ASUS says move the node in the middle between router and dead zone).

Try to check they may be too far from each other...

Tried with them 1 foot away. It only set up a 2.4g backhaul, which is said was weak, and would not reconnect when the 16000 rebooted. Had to revert back to repeater.