cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Question

TheFirf
Level 7
Keeping it simple, I have an GT 5300 (AC) and am considering purchasing an ASUS ROG 11000AX now that I have a few AX clients. Can the 11000 use the 5300 for mesh purposes? Does that mean that any client that is closer to the 5300 will only use AC instead of AX?

I can't seem to find anything online that talks to how different standards play out with the meshed routers when connected to an overall mesh. E.g. does the AX router (as the 'main' router) just use the antenna's any everything will still be AX or is the protocol used based on which router you are closer to?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

ahfoo
Level 13
TheFirf wrote:
Keeping it simple, I have an GT 5300 (AC) and am considering purchasing an ASUS ROG 11000AX now that I have a few AX clients. Can the 11000 use the 5300 for mesh purposes? Does that mean that any client that is closer to the 5300 will only use AC instead of AX?

I can't seem to find anything online that talks to how different standards play out with the meshed routers when connected to an overall mesh. E.g. does the AX router (as the 'main' router) just use the antenna's any everything will still be AX or is the protocol used based on which router you are closer to?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, If you buy the ROG AX-10000, just use the AX11000 do all the routing and let GT5300 become your mesh node. I am doing the same setup within my home. So far no major issue. Hope it helped.

Does that mean an AX client that is actually using the 5300GT (that does not support AX natively) because it is closer to the client, still connects via AX because it is actually acting as a repeater for the 11000?

Thanks again for taking time to respond!! Much appreciated.

TheFirf wrote:
Does that mean an AX client that is actually using the 5300GT (that does not support AX natively) because it is closer to the client, still connects via AX because it is actually acting as a repeater for the 11000?

Thanks again for taking time to respond!! Much appreciated.

No, you will only enjoyed the AX by the main router (AX11000) . ROG AC5300 only AC only regardless how near your wireless client connected to it. To be honest I am not sure about others, I do not see much improve for AC and AX in real life. To me stable network more important to me now.

Good point on the performance. I brought over a friend's AX11000 and dropped it in (in place of the 5300) and lost range and initial negotiated speed. Network file transfers are about the same, internet access about the same (although I sense some additional lag, but pings and latency look about the same, so not sure if it's just my perception).

For the range, the difference is material. The range of the 11000AX falls far ahead of the 5300, in particular, when walls are involved (even with identical router and client settings).

Thanks again for the responses and happy holidays!

TheFirf wrote:
Good point on the performance. I brought over a friend's AX11000 and dropped it in (in place of the 5300) and lost range and initial negotiated speed. Network file transfers are about the same, internet access about the same (although I sense some additional lag, but pings and latency look about the same, so not sure if it's just my perception).

For the range, the difference is material. The range of the 11000AX falls far ahead of the 5300, in particular, when walls are involved (even with identical router and client settings).

Thanks again for the responses and happy holidays!

That is the why it better to get both AX to create a AI mesh system. So within your own compound of wireless coverage, the latency will not be very far different. And again, I do nt see much advantage AX over AC.