cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max of DHCP adresseses on Asus ZenWiFi XT9

gromar88
Level 7

Hello all,

I would like to ask how many IP adresses you can manually assign around the DHCP list on Asus ZenWiFi XT9. Can't find the info on Asus site and in specification of that model.

I will be very grateful for any information and help.

Best regards,
gromar88

11 REPLIES 11

jzchen
Level 14

I downloaded the User’s Manual and on the page DHCP Server it shows an image of the appropriate ASUSwrt page where it says “64”.  If it helps any I took a look at my AXE16000 and it says “128”.

ignoreme

I think 64 is the limit on ASUSwrt/the router GUI.  Probably you can get more by self assigning for example on a Windows PC you can manually assign it’s own.  For IoTs I do not think have/I have not seen that capability.

I remember when I first set up a network at home I didn’t know anything so I was assigning IPs to everything.  (I didn’t have a router).  (FAST) Ethernet switches were running at 100 Mbps FDX back then….

I assign from the GUI.

LAN/DHCP tab

I think the limit is assigned (by ASUS).  Since there's 2 GB on the AXE16000 they allow more:  "128".  Other router models have less memory, and they proportionately limit to maximum of 64 on those.  There may be 32 on others with even less memory, I honestly don't know.  I try to let the DHCP server do all the work.  (This used to be a problem with LAN printers when the DHCP server would assign a different IP address, then all printers would stop working on Windows for example.  I remedied this by using the node name instead of the IP address on Windows).  Nowadays it seems the DHCP server, at least on ASUS routers, recognizes devices and assigns it the same IP address every time.  (This even happens on iOS devices where it sends a randomized MAC address to the router).

Before you could set the DHCP range for example 192.168.50.2 to 192.168.50.100, then assign a Windows PC (manually) to 192.168.50.101 and the router would provide service to that PC.  Then later I found on some routers this would not work.  (You could not access the internet for example).  Then you're forced to assign between 192.168.50.2 and 192.168.50.100.  Hopefully the router DHCP server can recognize the devices with manually assigned IP addresses and avoid reassigning a duplicate IP address.  I guess a clash could occur if the Winows PC is off, the DHCP server selects (unluckily) the PCs self assigned IP address, then you power on the PC and two devices have the same IP...

ignoreme2

To be fair you might know more than me.  (I'm just explaining what I think I know, or what I experienced in the past, some from memory of a very long time ago).

Since I haven't reached, (nowhere close actually,) 253 devices or so to finish the available DHCP range, I have no idea say if you assign a device 192.168.2.xxx whether the router will service these addresses, given the DHCP range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254.  I vaguely remember setting up some computers on 192.168.2.xxx and a separate group 192.168.1.yyy which worked on maybe one router and not on another....

Someone was concerned about VPN and I tried to set it one up, I tried to to change the DHCP server range to:

192.168.50.2 - 192.168.51.254

It would not allow me to go beyond 50.254 to 51.254...

My apologies if I'm incorrect.

EDIT-  This is on the red title bar just above where you manually assign IP addresses:

"Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 128)" on our GT-AXE16000.  (You should be able to find this too).

50.254 and 51.254 are different networks.

"Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 128)"

I'm not exactly sure what that means?

Essentially DHCP can assign the same IP to many 'units' IF the other units are offline.

Like I mentioned somewhere else you should limit the DHCP range and manually assign IP's within that network.

DHCP range 192.168.1.150 - 192.168.1.254 then manually  assign between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.149

Thanks for clarifying things for me.  I didn't understand that this was the preferred method, as I don't like to assign static IPs...

I was quoting what it says on ASUS web GUI.  Not sure what it means either because I don't use it.