cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking into purchasing a gt-5300

tdjohnson2009
Level 7
Hello all,

I've always been a netgear router person, so I'm new to the asus router world. Well after having the nighthawk x10 r9000 for 6+ months and experiencing way too many problems (mainly with both ethernet and wireless randomly dropping multiple times daily), I've looked into purchasing a similarly spec'd router from a different brand, which I came across the GT-5300.

Reviews seemed to be mixed, but most negative reviews seem to be from early on in the products life. So my question is, how is this router currently performing now? Are there many, if any, issues with newer units/firmware? After spending all of this money for a netgear brick, I'm kind of hesitant to purchase another high end router.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
5 REPLIES 5

Titaniu
Level 7
On paper it is the best, then at home, it is one more, many very interesting functions, but, if the active one becomes unstable (see thread ROG RAPTURE GT-AC5300 - FIRMWARE 3.0.0.4.384.21140), maybe in a few months the firmware is better, today has many failures the support of his help, but you must have a lot of patience.

Regards

Titaniu wrote:
On paper it is the best, then at home, it is one more, many very interesting functions, but, if the active one becomes unstable (see thread ROG RAPTURE GT-AC5300 - FIRMWARE 3.0.0.4.384.21140), maybe in a few months the firmware is better, today has many failures the support of his help, but you must have a lot of patience.

Regards

I can agree wtih the patience part but when you buy the most expensive model they sell, their flagship, it's really annoying and off-putting. What drew me towards Asus was that they offered the ability to upgrade to a mesh network and not have to buy a whole new complete system for my home. The other thing (sort of unrelated to Asus) was that about 5yrs ago I had the flagship Netgear router croak on me when it was ONE WEEK out of warranty. I asked Netgear to do anything, repair it, replace it, even offer me a small coupon for the replacement I would have to buy. Netgear did nothing so I've written them off forever.

MarkSW
Level 8
tdjohnson2009 wrote:
Hello all,

I've always been a netgear router person, so I'm new to the asus router world. Well after having the nighthawk x10 r9000 for 6+ months and experiencing way too many problems (mainly with both ethernet and wireless randomly dropping multiple times daily), I've looked into purchasing a similarly spec'd router from a different brand, which I came across the GT-5300.

Reviews seemed to be mixed, but most negative reviews seem to be from early on in the products life. So my question is, how is this router currently performing now? Are there many, if any, issues with newer units/firmware? After spending all of this money for a netgear brick, I'm kind of hesitant to purchase another high end router.

I have had this router for over a year and initially went through 3 routers that had issues until I got this one.
I still cannot recommend it as it has an abundance of issues as reported here and in the SNB forums.
Stability is the biggest issue, in my opinion, and as numerous users have reported, the more stuff you enable on the router the more unstable it gets.
Asus have screwed the pooch with this router and have not even been big enough to man up and admit to all of the issues, instead mostly resorting to blaming the end users gear or setup. The irony is that I can connect my old RT-N66U and have no issues what so ever, which would indicate no issues with my gear.
Not allowing custom firmware was also a big mistake by Asus and also not trying to elicit the help of Merlin who makes modded firmware versions for a lot of their other routers.
If it wasn't for Merlin I could guarantee you that they would have a hell of a lot more disgruntled customers.
Asus needs to sort this router out or recall it and refund or replace with a proper working model.

Regards
Mark

chris_k
Level 8
tdjohnson2009 wrote:
Hello all,

Do yourself a favor, go with the RT-AC5300 and throw on Merlin's firmware. The GT is just as buggy as the R9000 (I own both). The RT has the same range and wifi speeds and is far more stable running Merlin's firmware then the GT or r9000 running stock firmware.

pod3545
Level 8
tdjohnson2009 wrote:
Hello all,

I might be able to help you with this as I recently purchased the GT5300 and have had some annoyances with it. Firstly, the documentation you find online, or what tech support refers to when helping you will be for the RT and not the GT. Likely the best support you'll find will be here in this forum. I'm grateful for that btw. These guys are awesome and helpful! Another odd instance I've found is that I've tried to run mesh with my AC68U and I find it constantly dropping, going offline and eventually reconnecting. Yes all FWs are current and it worked fine before I "meshed it" with the 5300. also the signal strength b/t the 5300 & the 68U is at the max so there's plenty there. Another issue is support not supporting things. I called in b/c I had questions about port forwarding and firewall other than the "select your game you use" option and they would only refer me to a basic online page about port forwarding. When I asked more questions, they simply said we don't give any more support or say anything other than what you read here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114093

Background, I'm not a gamer and I bought the GT because it has twice the ram, double the cores, 2 USB3 ports instead of just 1, and double the lan ports than the RT. https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=3U61Zcnuu8qOVMM4,DwKSrXfJIFZVICcx&b=0 Don't think I'm knocing on gamers or gaming in general. I actually am jealous as I don't have the time. 😞 I just don't understand why Asus would make their most powerful and capable router targeted to gaming without (1) making the support docs follow the console and (2) maybe make a FW you can put on it that would give you an option of a "gaming skin" with all the game options and also a skin with all of the standard, traditional options.