cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanging RT-AX88U Router with hard drive

bobinator_2
Level 7
Just purchased a RT-AX88U. This is my second asus router, and it has the exact same problem as the other.
I attached a 5 TB usb hard drive to the unit. I have 1 TB shared as a Time Machine backup partition. I use the other 4 TB as a back for a PC and Linux Server. After attaching the hard drive, the router "hangs" for less than a minute about every other hour. I have DirecTV hung off the router and it interrupts streaming. I used the router for a week with no problem. The minute I attached the hard drive and configured the timemachine and Samba exports, the interruptions started.

I noted this on my previous ASUS router (as well as others). I noted that my memory was at 90%; however, the CPU usage was very low.
I moved the hard drive back to my linux server for now. Preferably, i would like a router that would actually serve as a decent NAS.
1 REPLY 1

bobinator_2
Level 7
Note, the issue seems to be limited to the SAMBA mounts. I was able to setup the timemachine "export", which uses IPC protocol. This protocol did not seem to impact the router performance; therefore, is it possible that the authentication is causing the machine to "over load". Again with the samba share, my memory usage goes to 90%, when i turn off the share, the memory usage drops to 40%.