cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-BE98 Problem with Connecting PPPoE through the Modem with Bridge Mode

dwain
Level 10

Hello,

This is my major problem with the Router. I also found some other problems but I'll post them in other messages.

I have a DSL AC88U Asus modem. I've been using it with my VDSL connection for a while now. Yesterday I plugged my new BE-GT98 router. At first I made the connection type as Automatic IP (DHCP) and I plugged it from the 10G Wan port to my modem's LAN1 port. All the connection setup went smooth and I could get the internet. But I realized that the WAN IP was an internal private IP that my modem assigned to it. (192.168.1.3) I didn't want this because I wanted to have my router get directly the Public IP as the WAN IP. 

Until today I never used a router so I didn't know how to make this but after a research I found out that I just had to switch my Modem to Bridge mode from PPPoE and then setup the router's connetion type as PPPoE. I did accordingly and entered my username and password. But like this it wasn't getting any WAN IP from my ISP. I tried to add the VLAN ID in IPTV tab as 35 which my ISP requires but it didn't change. After making some research I found out that my AC88U modem didn't support VLAN ID tag while in Bridge mode. But upon some research it looks like it doesn't have to be supported in the modem if you can set it up in the router. But even though ı set it up it never worked. 

Do you think it's an issue with the router? If I had another cheap VDSL modem, I would give it a try but now I don't have any other spare modem. I can't try it. 

I'm attaching how I set my modem and how I set up my router in the images. The last attachment is again the modem but that page shows the connection before I switched to the Bridge Mode. With those settings my modem connects to the internet. I don't know why the router doesn't even if I'm doing almost the same settings in WAN Connection. 

Modem.pngRouter 1.pngRouter 2.pngModem 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dwain
Level 10

Hello again,

I found the solution. It’s probably all due to the modem I was using. It was a coincidence but while it wasn’t working at all in bridge connection, I decided to switch the modem back to PPPoE until my Fiber modem and connection will arrive(Which I applied to get from my ISP. Currently I'm using VDSL). So I switched it to PPPoE but I forgot to enable the 802.1q on the modem’s WAN configuration page. So I connected to my Router’s admin this time to switch it from PPPoe to Automatic IP but when the admin page showed up I saw that the WAN IP was there! I made a few tests to understand what was causing the issue. So it looks like, when we switch the DSL-AC88U modem to Bridge mode, it doesn’t connect at all as bridge. This function is not working properly if your ISP needs a VLAN tag. But what happened, when I forgot to enable the 802.1q (VLAN tag), my router went connected to the internet and directly got the WAN IP.

So in conclusion, if you want to be able to use DSL-AC88U in bridge mode, you’ll keep it in PPPoE but then disable 802.1q in the modem. And in your router you select your connection type again as PPPoE and set the VLAN ID to 35 as required for my ISP in the IPTV tab. All is working as like I chose the Bridge mode in a properly working modem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dwain
Level 10

Hello again,

I found the solution. It’s probably all due to the modem I was using. It was a coincidence but while it wasn’t working at all in bridge connection, I decided to switch the modem back to PPPoE until my Fiber modem and connection will arrive(Which I applied to get from my ISP. Currently I'm using VDSL). So I switched it to PPPoE but I forgot to enable the 802.1q on the modem’s WAN configuration page. So I connected to my Router’s admin this time to switch it from PPPoe to Automatic IP but when the admin page showed up I saw that the WAN IP was there! I made a few tests to understand what was causing the issue. So it looks like, when we switch the DSL-AC88U modem to Bridge mode, it doesn’t connect at all as bridge. This function is not working properly if your ISP needs a VLAN tag. But what happened, when I forgot to enable the 802.1q (VLAN tag), my router went connected to the internet and directly got the WAN IP.

So in conclusion, if you want to be able to use DSL-AC88U in bridge mode, you’ll keep it in PPPoE but then disable 802.1q in the modem. And in your router you select your connection type again as PPPoE and set the VLAN ID to 35 as required for my ISP in the IPTV tab. All is working as like I chose the Bridge mode in a properly working modem.

Thank you for sharing this information.  A couple of questions come to mind:

As you note the DSL-AC88U might not be functioning properly as a Bridge.  When I search ASUS Router Bridge Mode I can find official ASUS (from an ASUS website) instructions but it is for a WiFi Bridge, and doesn’t show an option for Ethernet bridge.  Kind of strange, does it not support Ethernet Bridge?

You posted in another GT-BE98 thread where the author never came back to report on what happened in his situation.  From that thread you noted you had a very similar issue, if not same, (at least on the GT-BE98 side).  Maybe the PPPoE function is not yet working properly on the GT-BE98, and that is why once you turn it back on in the DSL-AC88U everything was fine once you set up a VLAN on the GT-BE98?

I am also still learning so please excuse me if I am mistaken somewhere…

Hello,

My DSL-AC88U is a modem itself. It's not a router. But there is also a RT-AC88U which looks the same and it's a router. Maybe is that what you are talking about? 

The PPPoE works fine. I actually today had my DSL replaced with Fiber from my ISP today. And with their Fiber adaptor bridge connection PPPoE is working very good. So all is good for me now. 

But the DSL-AC88U when I left it in PPPoE but by disabling the VLAN ID. I enabled the VLAN tag on my router and then everything worked. But today I threw my DSL-AC88U into the trash :)))

Just an FYI a modem, or ONT, (fiber equivalent of MoDem), does not have WiFi funcrii.  If you have set up Bridge mode in your new fiber box, if I’m not mistaken, then it is called a gateway.  (Gateway per my understanding is a modem and router combined, or ONT and router combined).  I do believe the DSL-AC88U is such a gateway.  Glad you were able to remove it though, it is WiFi 5 and now you’ve moved to WiFi 7.  🙂

I guess @xazac in the other thread gave up and returned his.  Maybe the latest firmware fixed the PPPoE problem…

I think I explained it wrong. I’m new to fiber so that’s why the I got confused. My provider brought 2 things. One is just a small box, I think that’s the fiber box and the second one is the router. They first set up their router and fiber got activated. After they left I unplugged their router and plugged my asus router to the fiber box. The wan connection in the router was already pppoe and my password was the same and internet came in without any issues. I could also keep using their router in bridge mode and then connect my router to their router but there was no need for that. I could make the connection directly with the Fiber box. I don’t know this is also considered a bridge or not :))