cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-BE98 PRO too slow on 10 GE WAN - only getting 5 Gbit but internet tech guy's machine shows 8 Gbit

rconstantine
Level 7

Like the subject says, I have the GT-BE98 PRO but the speedtest is only getting maximum of 5 gigs on the 10 GE WAN port from my ISP. I've been trying to figure out what settings I need to change to get it to go faster. I don't think I turned anything on after default settings that should have affected it, so it must be a default setting.

Has anyone gotten 7-8 Gbits (the actual limit of 10 Gig) on this router? I'm told that late this year they will be upgrading the local node so I may get an actual 10 gigs (they'd supply 12 or so), but I doubt that will happen if I can't get what they get in the first place.

What I mean by "what they get" is that a guy brought his laptop and a rack-style router and did the same test - speedtest.net, and also an iperf3 test on his laptop. When I SSH into the router and also run iperf3, it is a lot worse than the 5 gigs I'm seeing on the Ookla Speedtest. I think the tech ran one more test, which was also higher than mine, but I don't recall the name.

Ideas?

12 REPLIES 12

Saltgrass
Level 13

I am just guessing, but the LAN - Switch Control tab has an option for Jumbo Frame.  Maybe it would help.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

rconstantine
Level 7

Thanks for the idea. Tried it with no change in results.

At these high speeds make sure the cables are short or high quality if long?  Do you mind sharing which ISP?  It might help if someone else here has the same and can share insight.  For me when I have spare time I like to Google the issue and it helps me help you…

Locally we are impatiently waiting the arrival of a low cost 10 Gbps service.  Right now I believe the highest speed is 5 Gbps but one would have to pay close to $150/mo.  Is the speed test slightly above 5 Gbps, slightly below, maybe provide the exact number please, and separate download and upload?

rconstantine
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. Most recent speeds were:  Download: 4717.31Mbps, Upload 3036.48 Mbps. The one cable feeding the router is 3 ft or less and high quality. ISP is Twin Lakes which is a local Tennessee one. They have a speedtest.net node which is the one I test against and which is the closest and does give the best results.

Also of note is that the RAM and CPU usage remain quite low all the time. I've never seen any of the cores above about 10% and RAM hasn't been over 50%.

Thank you for that.  Do you happen to have any computer/device that has 10 Gbps ethernet port?  Maybe you could connect that directly to the ONT and speed test?  Then maybe you can narrow down...  What is the ping you are seeing?

I know this tech guy has a GT-BE98 Pro AND is testing it on Sonic's 10 Gig service.  You can definitely ask him what speeds he is getting:

Asus GT-BE98 Pro: Top-tier Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router | Dong Knows Tech

Please try this for me, (as I just thought of it), can you flip the cable around so that the end connected to the router is now connected to the ONT, and vice versa?  Then run speed test again.  If the cable is not the issue speed should not flip...

rconstantine
Level 7

I don't yet have a device with 10 Gb capability or I'd have done what you suggest. I see there are PCI-E cards available I could get. Ping is between 1.2 and 1.7 ms. I've tried three different cables from ONT to Router. Speedtests are all about the same. I'll check out the link.

BTW, I'm using the cable the tech guy used. He left his with me. My old one did have kinks in it, but no change in speeds and like I said, he was getting better speeds from the same cable.

I was just wondering; you are doing the speed test in the Router?

There should be a new firmware version coming fairly soon.  It may have an effect on your situation.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

rconstantine
Level 7

Yes, in the router since none of my devices have a 10 G connection. I also followed the link jzchen iincluded, left a question, and already got an answer. In another post he pointed me to, Dong says:

"To deliver (close to) true 10Gbps, a router needs more than just a couple of 10Gbps Ethernet network ports. It also requires high processing power and applicable firmware to handle this bandwidth.

"Generally, Multi-Gig home and SMB routers, including top-tier ones, do not have enough to deliver (close to) true 10Gbps (10,000Mbps) throughputs. After “overhead”, they sustain at around 6,500Mbps on the LAN side and around 5000Mbps on the WAN side, give or take — the latter generally remote more processing power."

So it looks like I'm screwed and my expectations were not properly set with the advertising of both router and service. 😞