cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gt-axe16000 vlan eta?

denn73
Level 7
2). VLAN supported models:

RT-AX86U Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro, more models are coming.

Source: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1049415/

According to the above mentioned ASUS FAQ webpage, currently, there are only two router models which support setting-up VLANs. When is the approximate expected date that the GT-AXE16000 router will receive an update for the VLAN capability?
9 REPLIES 9

Saltgrass
Level 13
There seems to be an ability to do that on the Beta firmware currently available for the AXE16000, 9.0.0.6.102.3506.

2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
There seems to be an ability to do that on the Beta firmware currently available for the AXE16000, 9.0.0.6.102.3506.

2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.

Thanks for pointing that out. I prefer not to use Beta firmware for any device that has access to the internet but hopefully this means it will soon be part of the stable version.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I haven't tried it either because I don't want to introduce random problems. There is one user already using it, perhaps he will show up.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jzchen
Level 14
Yes did try the beta firmware for a while. *I tested tethering an iPhone which worked. *I was happy with it overall until I did not see a new 6E/6 GHz device connecting. *I then installed the release version eventually getting it to work on that. *I can’t say I found any (100% it’s the firmware’s fault) issues. *In fact the 6E device now connects to 5 GHz and not 6 GHz no matter what firmware I use 3.0.0.4.388_22237 nor 9.0.0.6.102.3506, after upgrading firmware on the AXE11000.

If you already have an AXE16000 and the feature is only available in the beta I would not hesitate to try it. *(This is sharing my honest opinion having run it). *I had switched my giant screen REVVL V+ 5G for my mother’s tiny iPhone X so I could tether to the router in case our internet went down. *If I hadn’t done so I would be very likely using the beta firmware now to tether the iPhone…

jzchen wrote:
Yes did try the beta firmware for a while.

If you already have an AXE16000 and the feature is only available in the beta I would not hesitate to try it.

Good to know that you've tried the beta, and I appreciate the insight but I have a smart home network that I need to work reliably. More importantly, I have a strict 'no beta' rule for any device that connects to the internet. I don't even try beta software on any of my computers. Routers are a well-known attack vector, so I would rather be safe than sorry and wait for the stable firmware release.

jzchen
Level 14
There is new official release firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22525, which I downloaded. *No VLAN as far as I searched for it, sadly. *Nobody’s home except for me I may tinker with the beta firmware. My son’s 6E device is not connecting via 6 GHz anyways.

jzchen
Level 14
I am back after just downloading the beta firmware, through the WebGUI, vs the ASUS website downloaded to computer then uploaded to the router.

I’m not sure if they based the new beta off the latest but I came back trying to warn people not to try it, at least not direct download (if there’s a difference). *I noticed an instruction after it finished loading to manually reboot the router. *I went down to flip the switch off, pause, and on. *After a while I get notifications of new devices connecting. *All great until I try to access the internet, and NOTHING, no websites work!

Now back to troubleshooting…*

Thanks for the warning about possible attack. *I may got back to the latest release soon. *Seems in and out…. *

jzchen
Level 14
Your warning was heeded a little too late. *It took me a good while to repair the network. *As soon as I got a good part back up and running I needed to get out of the house for a breather! *(Again this is specifically the version available for download through ASUSwrt (WebGUI). *The problems that rebooting (flipping the physical switch) seems to have caused:

Lost Internet (WAN) access.
It appears to knock out all the LAN ports! *(I tried a 10G port and 1G port) and could not access the WebGUI!

Eventually I started hearing a beeping sound, which I initially thought was a defective UPS. *I went to mute the warning and as I was passing the keypad for the home alarm I realized it was complaining because it lost connection to the monitoring station! *(Yes our uplink is via Ethernet). *I muted the alarm and got to work.

Ethernet (both 10 G and 1 G don’t work), so my last ditch effort was press the reset button with the tip of a paper clip. *(For it to work you need to depress it twice). *I then use the Android phone (that is tethered to the USB port, not sure if that helped) and setup the router from scratch.

WAN still down I set it manually as DHCP. *LANs still down I was able to connect the computer to the router via WiFi. *As quickly as possible I go to the Firmware page and upload 3.0.0.4.388_22237 that I have. *Things acting normal I quickly download the _22525 update, then add my AXE11000 as node.

I left the RT-AX86U and RT-AC68U connected but in reset state. *(I will see if we have too many nodes for the house and leave them and the RP-AX56 out for now).

The beta version is causing that much havoc on your network? If so, it's the perfect example of why I avoid anything beta. Smart home devices are problematic enough sometimes, I definitely don't need my router adding to the network instability and troubleshooting equation.