cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE16000 issues

denn73
Level 7
Hello fellow forum members.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get Download Master to work with torrents? Whenever I add one - the dialog box disappears and nothing happens. From what I have read in other posts online, it seems like Download Master is broken, and has been for a long time.

One more thing: does anyone have a Raspberry Pi connected to their router? I am asking because my Pi 4B (4GB variant) running 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS will not link to the router at the full 1Gbps speed of the port. The problem exists on all of the router's ethernet ports, even the two 10G ports. Looking for a Linux-savvy forum member who might be able to help because ASUS Support does not seem capable of providing a solution. I know it is a router firmware problem - but I get the impression that they don't want to make a genuine effort of testing a Pi with the router and actually fixing the router/Pi link speed handshake problem.

As you can see from the results of ethtool eth0, the Pi's ethernet port is capable of 1000Mbps, and even advertises this link speed option it to the router, but the router does not advertise the 1000Mbps option to the Pi - and so the link connection between them is only 100Mbps. It's very disappointing that ASUS didn't test a Linux device when developing this router's firmware.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes
6 REPLIES 6

jzchen
Level 14
Did you try a different ethernet cable?

jzchen wrote:
Did you try a different ethernet cable?

Will a different ethernet cable fix Download Master? Just kidding, I know what you meant. 🙂
And yes, I did upgrade the ethernet cable from Cat5e to Cat6A but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.
As I have mentioned, the router needs to advertise the 1000Mbps link option to the Pi so they will negotiate a connection at that speed - but it clearly does not. From all of the router's ethernet ports, the router will only advertise a link speed option of 100Mbps. I could probably use a spaghetti noodle as an ethernet cable and the router will still advertise only 100Mbps maximum link speed option to the Pi.

jzchen
Level 14
I did a little Googling, yours is not the first case:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=306433

@pidd on the last post says it's the Pi. Then there is no update since 2021/3/11....

jzchen wrote:
I did a little Googling, yours is not the first case:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=306433

@pidd on the last post says it's the Pi. Then there is no update since 2021/3/11....

Thanks for that URL, I have already posted my problem there, and also searched for possible answers on that forum but did not see that specific thread. After trying the same troubleshooting steps as Kukulkan, it seems that I may have a Pi with a bad ethernet port. I have connected the router directly to my desktop ethernet port and the link speed is 1Gbps. Then I connected the Pi to my desktop ethernet port and the link speed is only 100Mbps there as well. Unfortunately, I can't compare these results with a new Pi4B because they're not for sale at prices anywhere close to MSRP because of a supply shortage. If I had known how at the time, I would've checked if the ethernet port was defective when I first got it. Hard lesson learned, I guess - since it can no longer be returned for a replacement.

jzchen wrote:
I have a USB HDD connected to the 3.1 port. Someone actually helped me set it up a long long time ago, and I believe reformatted it to work pretty universally. (I just plugged it in, then tinkered with the settings on ASUSwrt). I'm definitely in way over my head: what's the benefits (supposedly if it worked) of Download Master?

I had installed Download Master on a USB drive that was formatted the same day. The benefits of Download Master, for my purpose, was using it as a torrent seedbox. The drive was accessible and worked fine for LAN and FTP transfers but the torrent downloader and download manager is very broken.

jzchen
Level 14
I have a USB HDD connected to the 3.1 port. Someone actually helped me set it up a long long time ago, and I believe reformatted it to work pretty universally. (I just plugged it in, then tinkered with the settings on ASUSwrt). I'm definitely in way over my head: what's the benefits (supposedly if it worked) of Download Master?

jzchen
Level 14
Sorry to read about your warranty expiration. I actually tried to look for one of those keyboards or desktops but could not find one, (to test out since MSRP is so reasonable).

Thank you for the explanation of Download Master. I am still scratching my head as I just lost an IoT that's a pain to reach and reset/reconnect, so I am getting less and less brave to tinker with things...