cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 problems: clients disconnect hourly, other issues

jeffsw6
Level 8
Recently, I purchased a GT-AXE11000 router (new from amazon) plus a used RT-AC88U to use as a mesh node.

That went horribly. I began to have progressively severe problems getting devices to connect (wired & wireless) until eventually, my Roku would not work, my MacBook Pro only worked wired (wireless wouldn't connect), and some devices had normal speed e.g. 200Mb/s speedtest while others would get < 5Mb/s. Nothing I did helped, such as rebooting devices & routers, removing mesh node, etc.

I finally factory reset the AXE11000 and reconfigured it as a stand-alone router and suddenly everything was okay.

I've since read about some other users having progressive problems they have to factory reset for, so I'm no longer shocked by this, but I would like to solve it.

Since the factory reset, most things are okay, but I have two devices which briefly lose connection hourly. It doesn't happen to both devices simultaneously; but they lose connection after exactly one hour, down to the second; and this has been going on for a couple of weeks. One device is wired, my MacBook Pro; the other is wireless, an old RT-AC3200 in AP mode (not mesh).

I upgraded firmware to 386_43983 hoping this would fix the some clients disconnect hourly problem, but it didn't.

I'm not a dumb user or anything. I've been a network software engineer for over 20 years. I'm not immune to making mistakes, of course; but given the situation, it seems clear the firmware for the AXE11000 is a dumpster fire.

Any tips or work-arounds would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

jeffsw6
Level 8
I've had increasingly severe problems again for the past couple of weeks. Eventually, my wired MacBook Pro dock became unable to get a DHCP lease again -- similar symptom to past failures I've been unable to resolve without factory-resetting.

I submitted another Feedback from the AXE11000 UI and included this forum thread in the message this time.

Incidentally, I've been on firmware 43986 for a couple weeks. I upgraded when I started to experience web browsing problems and DNS failures (typically how this problem begins) but it didn't help. Overall, this feels a lot like the ST:TNG episode when the USS Yomato gets infected by the Iconian software.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Trouble shooting something normally includes disconnecting everything that is not essential. Start with one Windows system and check the logs. If it happens hourly, exactly, something is probably changing a lease.. We should be able to compare logs to see if something on yours is different.

My system has been working well, even with Wi-Fi 6e.. I do make sure and have strong signals to my devices.

If you have not already, the testing would be easier if the Mesh node was not involved.

I don't suppose your ISP has provided any guidance, such as changing out your cable modem/Gateway?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

This router is definitely a dumpster fire you should see its behavior with smart home devices, disconnects them every minute or so.

RedSector73
Level 12
jeffsw6 wrote:
Recently, I purchased a GT-AXE11000 router (new from amazon) plus a used RT-AC88U to use as a mesh node.

Could try using AsusWRT Merlin firmware on both and see if you can get a better result. https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

The AX1000 recently was added to the firmware (so might have few kinks, merlin is magical through)
and the RT-AC88U been using so long on Merlin firmware (from launch till retired the router this year), forgotten what Asus firmware might even look like (tongue n cheek - they appear the same just one works and has options to make work the way you need).

And if this does not work out SNBforum support is amazing and you can always go back ASUS std. firmware anytime (you want broken firmware back).
https://www.snbforums.com/

Only reason I even bought ASUS router was becuase ASUS build good routers and I was aware of Merlin firmware & support. This year I moved to using PFsence but wow what a steep learning curve that was to get working the way I wanted.

Anyway, you might find Merlin firmware a solid solution, I have in the past.

After nearly six months running two GT AXE11000 in AI Mesh config, I finally solved the issues with connectivity on the Samsung Galaxy 21/22 Ultra in addition to rock solid 6E and 6GHz performance.

I recorded this video https://youtu.be/qikbVRCRJBw
Steps
1) Separate Bands (no smart connect)
2) Use same SSID on 2.4 and 5GHz, and different on 6GHz
3) Use WiFi radar to find best control channels on 2.4, 5 and 6GHz frequencies. Your neighbors' networks are wreaking havoc.
4) Set roaming assistant to boot client at -70 or -75 Db
5) Set static IP and turn off randomized MAC on your mobile device
6) If fixed placement devices are jumping between mesh nodes then bind each device to the closest access point.
7) under wireless professional set Bluetooth coexistence to preemptive.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10
CPU: Intel 6950x 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x Nvidia ASUS RTX 3090 with EK Water Blocks
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x8GB) 3,600 MHz
M.2 SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMEI
Sound: Creative XFI Fatal1ty Champion Series
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

TrickMasterPC wrote:
After nearly six months running two GT AXE11000 in AI Mesh config, I finally solved the issues with connectivity on the Samsung Galaxy 21/22 Ultra in addition to rock solid 6E and 6GHz performance.

I recorded this video https://youtu.be/qikbVRCRJBw
Steps
1) Separate Bands (no smart connect)
2) Use same SSID on 2.4 and 5GHz, and different on 6GHz
3) Use WiFi radar to find best control channels on 2.4, 5 and 6GHz frequencies. Your neighbors' networks are wreaking havoc.
4) Set roaming assistant to boot client at -70 or -75 Db
5) Set static IP and turn off randomized MAC on your mobile device
6) If fixed placement devices are jumping between mesh nodes then bind each device to the closest access point.
7) under wireless professional set Bluetooth coexistence to preemptive.

Thank you for sharing with us. but if don't mind would you please send me a screenshot of your Asus axe11000 wifi & professional settings this will helpful for us. and if you could try record in your youtube Channel Asus axe11000 Tutorial best configuration settings this will be help and support for all axe11000 users.

Best Regards.