cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 monthly disconnects and crashes

jerzor
Level 8
Hi everyone, I've been following threads related to the GT-AXE11000 around here and after the last week I've had, I felt the need to ask for help regarding my unstable system. My setup is this router connected to my modem from Comcast (XB-7), and then I have an RT-AX92U (which itself had a problem some months ago when the hardware faulted and only a reset could get it back online and seemingly solve the problem) added as an AiMesh extension over ethernet (about the first half of the year it was connected over WiFi, and then I connected them with an ethernet cable when the network stability inexplicably degraded). I have kept as up to date with the firmware for both routers as I can, usually being reminded after each crash to check for new updates but sadly only having to wait a month or so for the next crash to occur.

For the past year I've had this (GT-AXE11000) router, I've had regular problems averaging about once a month. Typically the problem is a complete system crash (I check afterwards and see the uptime is reset), disconnecting all clients both wired and wireless, and I suspiciously have this happen most often with Zoom meetings (for posterity, on this forum I see only two mentions of Zoom related to the GT-AX11000). Other times it will just be a disconnect of wireless clients and I have to go over and power down the router with the physical switch because my laptop will claim to be connected to the router over WiFi but I can't even connect to the router's administration panel. This past week I had a wireless client disconnect during a Zoom meeting (the connection stayed unstable for a good chunk of time after the initial hard reboot) and then again sometime around 4:30 AM this morning, just a couple of days after the first problem.

The problem seems random: I have some 45 Zoom meetings every month during different hours of the day and different days of the week, and the crashes/disconnects do not happen at the same time or on the same day (again, they usually occur during a Zoom meeting but not always). I also have watched the network traffic and by no means is Zoom stressing things compared to some of my LAN traffic where I pump data at 1 Gb/s between machines for hours at a time.

Each time I submit feedback but I have yet to have a resolution from Asus. I have called and been promised I would be contacted by support only to never receive a phone call. I see from the forum this well-commented on thread where many ongoing problems related to this router are likewise reported: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122758-ROG-Rapture-GT-AXE11000-issues

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to improve the system stability? I have yet again combed through all the router settings and they are basically the defaults, and certainly if something default or a primary feature from Asus is causing these crashes, that shouldn't be shipped in the first place. I'm happy to provide more details about the system setting as needed for diagnosis.
47 REPLIES 47

Maybe a week or so ago I noticed that my AXE11000 was continuously using 97% of it's 1 GB memory. I was about to mention it on this thread but then all of a sudden it dropped down to a more comforting 67%...

jzchen wrote:
Maybe a week or so ago I noticed that my AXE11000 was continuously using 97% of it's 1 GB memory. I was about to mention it on this thread but then all of a sudden it dropped down to a more comforting 67%...

@ jzchen OK, I give up. I don't see that number shown in the Admin section, could you please explain where you see the memory usage number?

Luckily, my system as been up for 40 days without interruption.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Luckily mine's also been stable even during that period.

I've been using the ASUS app on my android phone but found it on the web GUI.

Just below Advanced Settings select Network Map

on the right side just below System Status there are three tabs, select the middle one Status

First graph is CPU usage which was strangely low even with the 97%. I expect CPU usage to be high when memory usage is high.

Below that is RAM 😄

Found the screenshot I took on my phone (Monday) running the ASUS Router app. It was down to 59% this morning with low CPU utilization.

Have the same problem with my 11000.

Loses all internet connectivity.

Only a power down and on fixes the issue.

I assume there isn't any solution yet?

latest version firmware 3.0.0.4.386.49675, i can not connect my xt8 zenwifi on back haul 5GHz, just shows weak signal, have factory rest after firmware update, work fine on firmware version 47875, xt8 has latest firm ware 9.0.0.4.386.48966.

The beginning "9" means it is beta testing firmware. Are you willing to try the latest 3.0.0.4.386.48706 on the XT8?

Hi everyone, I see a lot of responses have gathered in the meantime. I am happy to say that as of now I'm sitting at 116 days of uptime, so I consider my problems fixed as of beta build 9.0.0.4.386_48449-gc53a19c (now it's just a matter of me waiting for them to patch whatever fixed the problem back into the stable build). If your beta is now past this then I guess you have to keep bugging them for a fix like I did, and hopefully before your router warranty runs out (like I stated in an earlier post, once my warranty ran out for the AX11000 they refused to help troubleshoot my similar crashing issues).

jerzor wrote:
Hi everyone, I see a lot of responses have gathered in the meantime. I am happy to say that as of now I'm sitting at 116 days of uptime, so I consider my problems fixed as of beta build 9.0.0.4.386_48449-gc53a19c (now it's just a matter of me waiting for them to patch whatever fixed the problem back into the stable build). If your beta is now past this then I guess you have to keep bugging them for a fix like I did, and hopefully before your router warranty runs out (like I stated in an earlier post, once my warranty ran out for the AX11000 they refused to help troubleshoot my similar crashing issues).

That is promising! Where did you get the beta build and where can I download it?

Asus support provides download links to their beta builds so you'd have to coordinate with them to get that. However, I am checking with them now to see if the specific fixes they included for me in that beta build are in the latest stable build.