Maybe a week or so ago I noticed that my AXE11000 was continuously using 97% of it's 1 GB memory. I was about to mention it on this thread but then all of a sudden it dropped down to a more comforting 67%...
Hi everyone, I see a lot of responses have gathered in the meantime. I am happy to say that as of now I'm sitting at 116 days of uptime, so I consider my problems fixed as of beta build 18.104.22.168.386_48449-gc53a19c (now it's just a matter of me waiting for them to patch whatever fixed the problem back into the stable build). If your beta is now past this then I guess you have to keep bugging them for a fix like I did, and hopefully before your router warranty runs out (like I stated in an earlier post, once my warranty ran out for the AX11000 they refused to help troubleshoot my similar crashing issues).