cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 monthly disconnects and crashes

jerzor
Level 8
Hi everyone, I've been following threads related to the GT-AXE11000 around here and after the last week I've had, I felt the need to ask for help regarding my unstable system. My setup is this router connected to my modem from Comcast (XB-7), and then I have an RT-AX92U (which itself had a problem some months ago when the hardware faulted and only a reset could get it back online and seemingly solve the problem) added as an AiMesh extension over ethernet (about the first half of the year it was connected over WiFi, and then I connected them with an ethernet cable when the network stability inexplicably degraded). I have kept as up to date with the firmware for both routers as I can, usually being reminded after each crash to check for new updates but sadly only having to wait a month or so for the next crash to occur.

For the past year I've had this (GT-AXE11000) router, I've had regular problems averaging about once a month. Typically the problem is a complete system crash (I check afterwards and see the uptime is reset), disconnecting all clients both wired and wireless, and I suspiciously have this happen most often with Zoom meetings (for posterity, on this forum I see only two mentions of Zoom related to the GT-AX11000). Other times it will just be a disconnect of wireless clients and I have to go over and power down the router with the physical switch because my laptop will claim to be connected to the router over WiFi but I can't even connect to the router's administration panel. This past week I had a wireless client disconnect during a Zoom meeting (the connection stayed unstable for a good chunk of time after the initial hard reboot) and then again sometime around 4:30 AM this morning, just a couple of days after the first problem.

The problem seems random: I have some 45 Zoom meetings every month during different hours of the day and different days of the week, and the crashes/disconnects do not happen at the same time or on the same day (again, they usually occur during a Zoom meeting but not always). I also have watched the network traffic and by no means is Zoom stressing things compared to some of my LAN traffic where I pump data at 1 Gb/s between machines for hours at a time.

Each time I submit feedback but I have yet to have a resolution from Asus. I have called and been promised I would be contacted by support only to never receive a phone call. I see from the forum this well-commented on thread where many ongoing problems related to this router are likewise reported: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122758-ROG-Rapture-GT-AXE11000-issues

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to improve the system stability? I have yet again combed through all the router settings and they are basically the defaults, and certainly if something default or a primary feature from Asus is causing these crashes, that shouldn't be shipped in the first place. I'm happy to provide more details about the system setting as needed for diagnosis.
47 REPLIES 47

cloister
Level 7
As per another thread, I was able to access the router by adding :8443 to the end of the local IP address. The PC in question uses chrome, which I set to use https everywhere.

cloister wrote:
As per another thread, I was able to access the router by adding :8443 to the end of the local IP address. The PC in question uses chrome, which I set to use https everywhere.

That's great news! Glad you figured it out.

cloister
Level 7
It is great, but that leaves me with another question, why would the https settings on the router no longer function after the crash/rebooting it? It doesn't make sense, but it's only a minor inconvenience.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Anyone find a real solution to this problem? My AXE routers are doing this on a weekly basis and I cannot figure out why. Merlin firmware did not fix the issue for me.

Sprayingmango wrote:
Anyone find a real solution to this problem? My AXE routers are doing this on a weekly basis and I cannot figure out why. Merlin firmware did not fix the issue for me.

It may be a long shot that you might have the same problem I had:

1. ISP increased speed from 300 Mbps to 1000 Mbps.
2. I purchased an AXE11000 to support the bandwidth.
3. The speed is sensitive to weak signal strength.
4. Dropping on the WAN side though not apparent due to poor signal strength.
5. Just so happen we have a splitter to the modem and to the telephone modem. Wife didn't want to pay extra for home phone service so I was able to remove splitter, (which I noticed each output showed "-3 dB").
6. The signal improvement prevents WAN side drop which AXE11000 responds with dropping all WiFi devices.

To verify WAN drop I was advised by ASUS support to connect my computer directly to the modem whenever the AXE11000 crashed. You may want to check if this is what's ultimately causing the once a week drop.

br116
Level 7
jerzor wrote:
Hi everyone, I've been following threads related to the GT-AXE11000 around here and after the last week I've had, I felt the need to ask for help regarding my unstable system. My setup is this router connected to my modem from Comcast (XB-7), and then I have an RT-AX92U (which itself had a problem some months ago when the hardware faulted and only a reset could get it back online and seemingly solve the problem) added as an AiMesh extension over ethernet (about the first half of the year it was connected over WiFi, and then I connected them with an ethernet cable when the network stability inexplicably degraded). I have kept as up to date with the firmware for both routers as I can, usually being reminded after each crash to check for new updates but sadly only having to wait a month or so for the next crash to occur.

For the past year I've had this (GT-AXE11000) router, I've had regular problems averaging about once a month. Typically the problem is a complete system crash (I check afterwards and see the uptime is reset), disconnecting all clients both wired and wireless, and I suspiciously have this happen most often with Zoom meetings (for posterity, on this forum I see only two mentions of Zoom related to the GT-AX11000). Other times it will just be a disconnect of wireless clients and I have to go over and power down the router with the physical switch because my laptop will claim to be connected to the router over WiFi but I can't even connect to the router's administration panel. This past week I had a wireless client disconnect during a Zoom meeting (the connection stayed unstable for a good chunk of time after the initial hard reboot) and then again sometime around 4:30 AM this morning, just a couple of days after the first problem.

The problem seems random: I have some 45 Zoom meetings every month during different hours of the day and different days of the week, and the crashes/disconnects do not happen at the same time or on the same day (again, they usually occur during a Zoom meeting but not always). I also have watched the network traffic and by no means is Zoom stressing things compared to some of my LAN traffic where I pump data at 1 Gb/s between machines for hours at a time.

Each time I submit feedback but I have yet to have a resolution from Asus. I have called and been promised I would be contacted by support only to never receive a phone call. I see from the forum this well-commented on thread where many ongoing problems related to this router are likewise reported: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122758-ROG-Rapture-GT-AXE11000-issues

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to improve the system stability? I have yet again combed through all the router settings and they are basically the defaults, and certainly if something default or a primary feature from Asus is causing these crashes, that shouldn't be shipped in the first place. I'm happy to provide more details about the system setting as needed for diagnosis.

Have had a similar issue since Day1(2020), no one At Asus seems to be able to correct this. It's a shame. Considering going to another brand....

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Looks like Asus released a massive new update today! Accompanied by a new website highlighting some new features. I gotta say I am excited for this and the VPN integration is looking awesome.

Here is the new site they launched: https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022

New Firmware is 3.0.0.4.388.20499
https://rog.asus.com/us/networking/rog-rapture-gt-axe11000-model/helpdesk_bios/

Changelog:
ASUS GT-AXE11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20499
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022

1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TVs, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0. It can easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection. Please download the Instant Guard app in App store or Google play.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 273177b13ae68340eb51d22b5c55d916

btrach144
Level 7
Wow! I wonder when the AXE16000 will get something like that.

TrickMasterPC
Level 10
I had the same issue on all firmware versions including this version 3.0.0.4.386.49675.

I recently upgraded to this version: 3.0.0.4.388.20499 but have yet to confirm whether the issue will persist. I'll update this post if 20499 suffers from random crashes as well.

When this happens the ONLY way to resolve it is a hard power down and power up. The router's Operating System suffers a catastrophic irrecoverable crash, sort of like the Windows BSOD. The router becomes inaccessible via the browser, via the mobile app and no devices have internet access etc. You have to toggle the physical power switch off then on.

Again, like you said, it's totally random, and there's no evidence in the logs of any failures. It could happen 3 times in a week or once every 2 months. One time it happened to me twice in one day. No rhyme or reason. I also reported this issue to ASUS, but unfortunately when it comes to issues like this their support is mostly useless. I provided my config, all logs, and everything they asked for, but nothing ever came of it.

Glad to see that others are having the same issue

BUMP, ASUS please look into this.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10
CPU: Intel 6950x 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x Nvidia ASUS RTX 3090 with EK Water Blocks
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x8GB) 3,600 MHz
M.2 SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMEI
Sound: Creative XFI Fatal1ty Champion Series
PSU: Corsair AX1200i