cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 monthly disconnects and crashes

jerzor
Level 8
Hi everyone, I've been following threads related to the GT-AXE11000 around here and after the last week I've had, I felt the need to ask for help regarding my unstable system. My setup is this router connected to my modem from Comcast (XB-7), and then I have an RT-AX92U (which itself had a problem some months ago when the hardware faulted and only a reset could get it back online and seemingly solve the problem) added as an AiMesh extension over ethernet (about the first half of the year it was connected over WiFi, and then I connected them with an ethernet cable when the network stability inexplicably degraded). I have kept as up to date with the firmware for both routers as I can, usually being reminded after each crash to check for new updates but sadly only having to wait a month or so for the next crash to occur.

For the past year I've had this (GT-AXE11000) router, I've had regular problems averaging about once a month. Typically the problem is a complete system crash (I check afterwards and see the uptime is reset), disconnecting all clients both wired and wireless, and I suspiciously have this happen most often with Zoom meetings (for posterity, on this forum I see only two mentions of Zoom related to the GT-AX11000). Other times it will just be a disconnect of wireless clients and I have to go over and power down the router with the physical switch because my laptop will claim to be connected to the router over WiFi but I can't even connect to the router's administration panel. This past week I had a wireless client disconnect during a Zoom meeting (the connection stayed unstable for a good chunk of time after the initial hard reboot) and then again sometime around 4:30 AM this morning, just a couple of days after the first problem.

The problem seems random: I have some 45 Zoom meetings every month during different hours of the day and different days of the week, and the crashes/disconnects do not happen at the same time or on the same day (again, they usually occur during a Zoom meeting but not always). I also have watched the network traffic and by no means is Zoom stressing things compared to some of my LAN traffic where I pump data at 1 Gb/s between machines for hours at a time.

Each time I submit feedback but I have yet to have a resolution from Asus. I have called and been promised I would be contacted by support only to never receive a phone call. I see from the forum this well-commented on thread where many ongoing problems related to this router are likewise reported: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122758-ROG-Rapture-GT-AXE11000-issues

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to improve the system stability? I have yet again combed through all the router settings and they are basically the defaults, and certainly if something default or a primary feature from Asus is causing these crashes, that shouldn't be shipped in the first place. I'm happy to provide more details about the system setting as needed for diagnosis.
47 REPLIES 47

Asus has been silent ever since I asked them about whether the specific fixes were included in the latest stable build, so today I took the plunge and installed the latest stable firmware (3.0.0.4.388_20499-gff30f01 which does not appear to be listed yet on the release page: https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-axe11000-model/helpdesk_bios/ ), we'll see how long of an uptime I can get with this stable release. Also, this update offered a new tickbox on the firmware update page "I would like to retrieve beta firmware." for any who want to automatically retrieve the beta firmware releases. I am sticking to stable unless I need to start corresponding with Asus again about stability issues.

jerzor wrote:
Asus has been silent ever since I asked them about whether the specific fixes were included in the latest stable build, so today I took the plunge and installed the latest stable firmware (3.0.0.4.388_20499-gff30f01 which does not appear to be listed yet on the release page: https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-axe11000-model/helpdesk_bios/ ), we'll see how long of an uptime I can get with this stable release. Also, this update offered a new tickbox on the firmware update page "I would like to retrieve beta firmware." for any who want to automatically retrieve the beta firmware releases. I am sticking to stable unless I need to start corresponding with Asus again about stability issues.

Where did you find the firmware if it is not listed?

JeffLo
Level 10
same problems with ax11000 very problematic flagship routers

I have my 11000 set to automatically reboot every other day around 3 am. I don't have a problem with it losing internet after a week or so anymore.

wingdam
Level 7
Same problem with my axe1100 random complete disconnect all wifi and internet. Power cycle fixes for awhile, but always happens again randomly. 1100 setup as access point from fios router in garage with three ax 56's to cover all cameras in apt building I own. After power cycle I have to do optimize to get repeaters to connect correctly. All ssids are different per band. For the money this costs I'm really disappointed

wingdam wrote:
Same problem with my axe1100 random complete disconnect all wifi and internet. Power cycle fixes for awhile, but always happens again randomly. 1100 setup as access point from fios router in garage with three ax 56's to cover all cameras in apt building I own. After power cycle I have to do optimize to get repeaters to connect correctly. All ssids are different per band. For the money this costs I'm really disappointed

JustinG has a solution you might try (2nd post):

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/bridge-g1100-so-your-router-becomes-primary/m-p/862033#M...

cloister
Level 7
I am also having the issue where the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 loses connectivity until the power is cycled. It has only happened once so far, but I've only owned this router for less than one month. The lights on the router behaved as if it were still working, however, the router's wireless became unresponsive. I did not think to try the ethernet connection before cycling the power. Wifi 6 failed to go active on the restart and had to be toggled off and on manually in the wifi settings. The router administrator panel is currently non-functional through the router's portal at 192.168.50.1 displaying an error in chrome that the site cannot be reached. The android app still works to control the router.

You're gonna want to plug a computer directly into an Ethernet port so you can access the Web GUI again.

Once you do verify the firmware is the latest. If not update it. I set mine to auto update (at 3:00 am) if that interests you.

(Can't tell if you need advice or just here to share to be honest).

cloister
Level 7
I forgot to mention that the Web GUI doesn't work through ethernet. Firmware was also on latest.
I just tested the Ethernet-connected PCs on my network. One allows me to connect to the Web GUI and the other does not and gives "The site cannot be reached" in chrome as an error. Before the issue arose prompting a reset, both worked fine.

I appreciate the help with this, I am primarily attempting to report my experience but I do need the Web GUI to work from all of my PCs as well as the Android app for my convenience.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Keep in mind you may be able to access the GUI using the designation on the label of the router using Wi-Fi. If you have your owner's instructions it should show you how.

Sorry I don't use Chrome so cannot check for you. I did see a comment on one Wi-Fi card I was thinking about purchasing and it stated it would not work with the Chrome OS. Maybe there is something in common there.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200