cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 - Dual WAN Does Not Work {Resolved]

joseph881
Level 8
I upgraded to this router this week to find out that the Dual WAN functions are completely broken. I can use either of my connections as the Primary WAN perfectly fine, but enabling Dual WAN in any capacity doesn't work for me/my setup.

For reference, I have 1x cable modem that gives out ISP internal IPs via DHCP, but I have a publicly accessible static IP that I set to use instead and then I have as well a backup connection from a local WISP that uses a Cambium PMP-450b radio/router than I do not have any access to which operates in the 192.168.88.x ip range, but I like to have my router set statically on 192.168.88.2.

In failover mode the second wan will just perpetually say the cable is disconnected when it is not. You can see this in the network map where secondary wan is set to Lan Port 4, and shows disconnected as WAN, but in the router status it clearly shows that something is plugged in at 100Mbps. This behavior is consistent regardless of which internet connection I use where or whether I'm using a static IP or DHCP.

In Load-Balance mode, which is what I wanted to use, the situation is even worse because the router would disable my primary internet connection due to it thinking the secondary is unplugged and I can't get internet until I manually disable the secondary connection in the Network Map.

So to recap, both my connections can work fine individually with the router, but nothing in dual wan mode. The router has been reset to factory defaults multiple times during my testing and is currently on the latest firmware that was released earlier today.

I upgraded from an old RT-AC3200 than handled this setup just fine. I sent an email to asus tech support, but figured I'd give here a shot too to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and has gotten it sorted.

Screenshots of the router GUI are included to illustrate the behaviors I mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.
4 REPLIES 4

Saltgrass
Level 13
Have you tried using the WAN and 2.5 GB Wan/LAN?

I only have one internet source so can't test..

There is a firmware upgrade for the router which has not been shown on the downloads page. You should be able to find it if you let it search..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Have you tried using the WAN and 2.5 GB Wan/LAN?

I only have one internet source so can't test..

There is a firmware upgrade for the router which has not been shown on the downloads page. You should be able to find it if you let it search..

I was using the 2.5GB port to so I can get the most throughput out of my ASUSTOR NAS (it has a 10Gb port) which I have on a 10Gb switch with 2 other machines, but decided to swap everything around just to try and humor you as well.

While, there was a little progress with the router not saying the cable is constantly disconnected while utilizing the 2.5Gb port for Secondary WAN, still nothing worked as advertised or expected. Failover mode would just show both connection constantly in the "Disconnected" state and would only use Primary WAN, while in Failover mode, the connection would never failover, even when physically disconnecting the ethernet cord from Primary WAN. I set it up with just a ping watchdog, and they would just cycle between hot and cold spares, but never actually switching to the Secondary WAN.

Lastly, I was on the latest firmware when I made my first post. In my screenshots you can see the firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386_43983 and that is the latest available as it shows on ASUS's website now. I updated to it inadvertently this morning after I factory reset the router and it prompted me to update to it during setup.

Thanks for a lead, but it looks like Dual WAN on this router is just FUBAR. I'm considering packing it up and returning it to try something else while I still can.

Thank you for a response and a lead though.

I got it to work on my own. Customer Supports response to me was a joke and no real help. I spent an evening diving through all the settings and figured out my problems on my own. Switching from Ethernet LAN to the 2.5G port for Secondary WAN solved one problem for me in that it let the router not say that the connection was disconnected. For whatever reason after I did that swap, I was able to swap back to Ethernet LAN on any port and it'd recognize the connection as disconnected.

What finally got it to work for me was properly setting up Network Monitoring as I had not touched it before because it wasn't required in my previous setup. That made the router finally marked the connections as Connected in the GUI. What I did personally was use Google's NTP server for time and resolved the ip address and pinged said IP in the network monitor. After that the router was able to determine the state of the connections, mark them as online, as well as properly sync the correct time.

Figured I'd come back and leave this here for anyone else that might have some trouble.

-Joseph

srudin
Level 7

My dual WAN is also disconnecting every now and then. It then switches from primary to secondary and back infinitely or, sometimes, until it stops. I have never been so disappointed with an Asus product before like with this router (the dual WAN issue is not the only problem I have).

I have tried using a static IP instead of automatic settings, I have tried using ping or no ping, I have tried different ports. no success so far. What a PITA to loose the connection every couple of hours. Works without dual WAN though.