cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 Wifi slowdowns

niccio
Level 7
I just set up a new GT-AX11000 and am having problems getting the Wifi up to the speeds I should be capable of. Here's some information:

Internet - 1Gbps @ 500Mhz
Mode: Wireless Router
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45898

Speed testing in Mbps:
Modem to router (test in GUI): ___________980 Up, 860 Down
Modem to router to wired PC: ____________1008 Up, 670 Down
Modem to router to 2.4Gzh wifi PC: ________34 Up, _18 Down
Modem to router to 5.0 (1) Gzh wifi PC: __240 Up, 122 Down
Modem to router to 5.0 (2) Gzh wifi PC: __480 Up, 316 Down

As you can see, my wifi speeds are significantly lagging. All tests were conducted on an AX and Wifi6 compliant PC with updated drivers (Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160Mhz). The speed at the router is fine and the throughput on a wired connection is fine, but the Wifi is definitely not. I've tried a lot of settings and did a full factory restore after the last firmware update. I'm also using channels with little to no other traffic. I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but here is my current settings just for review:

2.4Ghz:
Smart Connect: _______________OFF
Wireless Mode: _______________AUTO
802.11ax/Wifi 6 Mode: ________DISABLED
WiFi Agile Multiband: ________DISABLED
Target Wake Time: ____________DISABLED
Channel Bandwidth: ___________20/40 Mhz
Extension Channel: ___________ABOVE
Protected Management Frames: _DISABLED

5.0 (1) Ghz:
Channel Bandwidth: ___________20/40/80/160 Mhz
Extension Channel: ___________AUTO

5.0 (2) Ghz:
Channel Bandwidth: ___________20/40/80/160 Mhz
Extension Channel: ___________AUTO

Please let me know if you need any further information. I'd really like this router to be up and running with optimal speeds, but I'm not sure how to get there!
Thanks,
Nick
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you posted but you have AX disabled?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

That's correct, but just for testing purposes. I've tried it with and without AX disabled and seen no change in the throughput.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Do the link speeds shown by Windows the same as you are measuring?

I have never needed to mess with the default settings for the router to get normal speeds. The 5.0-1 radio should be about twice the speed of the 5.0-2 radio.

It would be best, for us, if you would have the AX enabled so we could eliminate that possibility. Otherwise, test it with a strong signal and move a laptop around to see if the signal strength varies. For the Desktops, you might try changing the orientation or antenna positions to see if anything changes.

I have an AX 210 using the AXE11000 and in the next room from the router and getting a 1441/735 Mbps on the 6e radio. I also have the AX11000 which never had your situation but I am not currently using it.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Do the link speeds shown by Windows the same as you are measuring?

I have never needed to mess with the default settings for the router to get normal speeds. The 5.0-1 radio should be about twice the speed of the 5.0-2 radio.

It would be best, for us, if you would have the AX enabled so we could eliminate that possibility. Otherwise, test it with a strong signal and move a laptop around to see if the signal strength varies. For the Desktops, you might try changing the orientation or antenna positions to see if anything changes.

I have an AX 210 using the AXE11000 and in the next room from the router and getting a 1441/735 Mbps on the 6e radio. I also have the AX11000 which never had your situation but I am not currently using it.

Ok, I re-enabled AX and here is what I'm seeing:
Speed testing in Mbps. Speedtest.net is first, windows link speed second:

Modem to router to 2.4Gzh wifi PC: ________10 Down, __4 Up (28/11)
Modem to router to 5.0 (1) Gzh wifi PC: __143 Down, _90 Up (408/136)
Modem to router to 5.0 (2) Gzh wifi PC: __176 Down, _49 Up (585/130)

Ideas are welcome, otherwise I may end up using the link to download a different firmware and trying that.
Thanks!

Ok, tried the alternate firmware (Asuswrt v.386.3_2) and got:
Speed testing in Mbps. Speedtest.net is first, windows link speed second:

Modem to router to 2.4Gzh wifi PC: ________32 Down, _12 Up (144/65)
Modem to router to 5.0 (1) Gzh wifi PC: __142 Down, _44 Up (408/144)
Modem to router to 5.0 (2) Gzh wifi PC: __165 Down, _46 Up (351/130)

So, not a big difference 😞

RedSector73
Level 12
Another choice could try is alternative firmware. https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ you can always flashback to Asus firmware if does not help.

xeromist
Based on what you wrote above it sounds like you are testing with a single device. Are you able to replicate these results with any other devices?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Based on what you wrote above it sounds like you are testing with a single device. Are you able to replicate these results with any other devices?

I am doing my testing on a single device, but am able to replicate near identical results on multiple other devices including game consoles, phones, and other PCs/Tablets.

xeromist
OK, just worth checking. I find it a little disturbing that it still does it with alternate firmware. That would seem (to me) to indicate some sort of hardware issue. Given its bristle of antennas I can't imagine a single antenna fault would cause such a dramatic hit but I don't know how it manages beam forming for AX. I'd probably exchange it just to be sure.

Beyond that I'd try it in a different environment. I know you checked the channel for traffic but there could be other sources of background interference.