cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 Separating 2.4Ghz Wifi from 5Ghz Wifi

ceglia
Level 9
Hi,

I'm trying to keep certain "IoT" devices on my network (e.g. Thermostat, lights, security system) separate from the computers on my network.

My original plan was to set up a Guest Network for the IoT devices, and that works to some extent, but I can't seem to have the Guest Network work across all AiMesh nodes (see my other post about that) so that solution is a bit problematic.

If I can get the Guest Network to work across all nodes, then that's what I'll likely do, but in the event that I cannot, I was wondering if I could essentially accomplish the same thing by setting up my non-Guest 2.4Ghz band as a separate segregated network exclusively for the IoT devices.

How would I go about doing that? Is it as simple as giving that band a separate network name and encryption key or are there more steps involved? I basically don't want any IoT device to be able to see or access my home computers. Basically have them behind a separate firewall.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Level 14
IoT devices that I dealt with are set up with my phone or other controlling device connected to the 2.4 GHz network:

I use the ASUS Router app to turn off Smart Connect and turn off all 5 GHz radios. (I have no 6 GHz devices so not necessary to turn it off). Then I make sure my phone is connected to 2.4 GHz. I establish connection to the IoT. Then I turn all radios back on and Smart Connect back on for all radios. IoTs stay connected just fine....

EDIT- Be sure to keep your 2.4 GHz SSID the same with Smart Connect OFF and ON...

Hmm... I'm not sure if that work. I'm trying to keep my IoT devices SEPARATE from the rest of my LAN. Doesn't Smart Connect merge all wifi bands into a single seamless network? That's the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

I think at the very least I'd probably want to ensure the 2.4Ghz has a unique SSID and password. But my guess is that I'd need to go even further and configure additional settings to ensure the two 5Ghz networks are properly firewalled from the 2.4Ghz IoT network. Just need some advice on how to go about doing that. Thanks.

Yes I was a little confused...

Smart Connect can be turned off or possible only select the two 5 GHz channels to be included.

The SSID can be different/unique for the 2.4 GHz and all IoTs can be connected there. Your non-IoT devices can be excluded from using the 2.4 GHz as such. I personally prefer non-IoTs are allowed to use it also if they are out of range of the 5 GHz (as I learned 2.4 GHz has the greatest range)...

jzchen wrote:
The SSID can be different/unique for the 2.4 GHz and all IoTs can be connected there. Your non-IoT devices can be excluded from using the 2.4 GHz as such.

I'm not sure if that alone is sufficient. creating distinct SSIDs for each band keeps the devices separate, but if someone were to hack into one of the IoT devices, they might gain access to non-IoT devices on the 5Ghz band. I think additional configuration settings are needed to truly keep the two networks secure. That's what I'm hoping someone on here can explain.