cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 Dropping WAN Connection

crystalpup
Level 7
Hi All,

I have two GT-AX11000 routers. One is the main router and I have a second GT-AX11000 which is configured as a mesh router that is hardwired into the primary router.

Every 12-36 hours I will lose internet on all my devices. I log into the router and it will say "INTERNET STATUS" -> "Dissconceted". I have two options I can unplug the router and plug it back in or click the "gear" icon when logging into the router to reboot it. Then magically it will say "connected" for "INTERNET STATUS" and everything will work again.

This has nothing to do with my ISP or Fiber modem. This is an issue with the GT-AX11000 dropping the WLAN connection.

I am running firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 which is the latest firmware on both routers. I don't see any beta firmware available.

I am really pulling my hair out trying to fix this. Any help would be great!

Thank you!
26 REPLIES 26

ahfoo
Level 13
It would be more clean and simple to use mesh system. Having said that, there is always debate between mesh and AP mode for the last few years. It all depend on your environment, distances and need. I am still wondering.

ahfoo wrote:
It would be more clean and simple to use mesh system. Having said that, there is always debate between mesh and AP mode for the last few years. It all depend on your environment, distances and need. I am still wondering.

well my router downstairs is wired so I see no need for mesh in my circumstance.
My Wife works from home so I keep the downstairs router on its own separate network.
I give all my devices an IP and a name in each router so I spot any rogue connections like when my Son shares the password with his mates.
Mesh would make more sense if I just had a home network...

I have figured out a solution that has solved my problems.
I have not had a LAN disconnect now for 30 days.

Go to "Wireless" -> General-> Authentication Method and select "WP2/WPA3-Personal"
Go to "Wireless" -> General-> Channel bandwidth and select "20/40 MHz"

I also updated to 3.0.0.4.386_46065 a few days ago and I'm still doing good.

I have an AXE11000 that can also lose WAN connection. (I have an XT8 for a mesh unit connected by wired backhaul).

Will lose WAN connection randomly, but usually a week or two apart.

I have noticed that all I need to do is unplug the WAN ethernet and plug it back in and it starts to work again. No reboot needed.

crystalpup wrote:
I have figured out a solution that has solved my problems.
I have not had a LAN disconnect now for 30 days.

Go to "Wireless" -> General-> Authentication Method and select "WP2/WPA3-Personal"
Go to "Wireless" -> General-> Channel bandwidth and select "20/40 MHz"

I also updated to 3.0.0.4.386_46065 a few days ago and I'm still doing good.

46065 crashes for me but may try your solution..............

Indigian wrote:
46065 crashes for me but may try your solution..............

I can confirm crashes on 46065. This is not a WAN disconnect issue anymore. I believe the WAN problems were solved with the above settings.

The new problem is you can't access the router's splash page via Wi-Fi or Hardwire and need to unplug and plug it back in to get it to go again.

ceglia
Level 9

i have been experiencing the same exact issues as @crystalpup .  i have 2 GT-AX11000 routers.  one is my main router, the other is set to AP mode.  i'm not using AI Mesh.  the two routers are connected with CAT6 ethernet.  my internet was dropping out every 5 days or so, and a reboot would restore everything.  it started happening once i switched internet providers from Spectrum to AT&T Fios.  the new Fios modem operates differently and i think it messes things up somehow.

my solution has been to set up a daily reboot of the routers (both of them) every night at 4am.  my internet will still drop out from time to time, but not as frequently now.  every 15 days maybe?

i also just recently enabled Dual WAN with auto network detection.  i think that may help as well, but it's too soon to tell.  in theory, if the internet drops out, the secondary connection should kick in after 60 seconds.

@ceglia Did you change the Detection interval from 3 seconds to 30 seconds?  I actually like that I feel the default of 3 seconds is too short, (which I assume would be a maximum 6 seconds to switch over)…

It's set to 5 seconds.  If it fails after 12 consecutive attempts (12x5 = 60 seconds), it switches over to the other WAN connection.

also... you could try changing your DHCP query setting.  read this FAQ.  not sure if it'll make any difference but might be worth a try. [Wireless Router] What is DHCP continuous mode? When should I use it? | Official Support | ASUS Glob...