cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 2.5G Port Unable To Reach 1.5G Speed

MegaHapa
Level 7
Sup all? Haven't posted in a long time.

Upgraded my interwebs here today, got a 1.5G line and did a test using the new modem hit 1.6G no problem wired in using CAT8.

Set bridge mode on the modem, power cycled and connected it to my AX11000, plugged my PC in to the 2.5G port and hit only 940M instead of 1.5G. Is the WAN port on the router capable of hitting the 1.5G speed???? Can't find any info on this.

So basically its an XB7 modem, using a CAT8 cable from port 4 on the modem which is 2.5G capable to the WAN on the AX11000 and then to my PC using CAT8 to the 2.5G from the router to the 2.5G on my Apex XII.
12,107 Views
17 REPLIES 17

Galaadking
Level 8
Did you switched the wan to the 2.5gb port?

Happened to me once

Galaadking wrote:
Did you switched the wan to the 2.5gb port?

Happened to me once


Is there toggle in the GUI to allow for greater then 1G?

Don't u need those speeds with the internet provider first to reach those speeds? I have a 2.5gm prt on my router but never reach those speeds?

MegaHapa wrote:
Is there toggle in the GUI to allow for greater then 1G?


Information about certain things is a little hard to find an accurate description regarding how it works. I realized a month ago that I don't remember a speed being put on a normal WAN port but maybe it is 1 Gbps. The manual states if you use WAN aggregation you can get to 2 Gbps, so, is the 2.5 speed just the LAN throughput or is it also a WAN speed..

Since you have verified the speed coming out of the modem, it would seem the 2.5 Gbps port may be limited when using it as a WAN. I have gotten it over 1 Gbps using internal transfers from an Wi-Fi 6 system..

I might want to go to a retail site and compare modems to see if any specifically state a WAN port speed. I think I have seen 10 Gbps routers advertised since some Fiber networks have higher speeds than 1.5 Gbps..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I've found the answer.

The WAN port on the AX11000 does not support speeds greater then 1Gb. You need to use Wan Aggregation which the router supports. The problem, I can't find any information on if the XB7 modem supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad. So i am going to assume that it does not.

My option right now is to either use the XB7 modem and get rid of the AX11000 or grab the AXE11000 which has Wan 2.5Gb and it will work fine. Then I can hit the 1.5Gb speed of my ISP.

MegaHapa wrote:
Is there toggle in the GUI to allow for greater then 1G?




If you go to the wan section of the web page where you manage the AX you can switch the wan to the 2.5 GB port.

That's why I'm asking if you have done that.

Yes, you can do wan aggregation but also you can change the port. Try it, it won't hurt

Galaadking wrote:
If you go to the wan section of the web page where you manage the AX you can switch the wan to the 2.5 GB port.

That's why I'm asking if you have done that.

Yes, you can do wan aggregation but also you can change the port. Try it, it won't hurt


Gave it a shot dawg but no dice. Still only top out at 940Mbps. All it does is change the 2.5Gb port to a WAN port instead of LAN. Problem is every other LAN port on the router is only 1Gb. You have to use Wan Aggregation in order to get faster then 1Gb speeds, but the XB7 doesn't support it from what I can tell. Contacted my ISP twice and laughed because its way over the techs heads....

Again I only have 2 options:

1.) Use the XB7 modem which is **** since its only dualband ACX...

2.) Purchase an AXE-11000 which supports 2.5Gb WAN.

Thanx though.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Why would you think the 2.5 Gbps port were different on the AX11000 and AXE11000? The port on Both routers is labeled 2.5 GE..

If you want to know about the modem, ask the ISP. Some of those have two outbound Ethernet ports so it might work but you may have to pay extra or it may not be allowed by the ISP. Others have tried using aggregation from one modem and had problems making that work.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Why would you think the 2.5 Gbps port were different on the AX11000 and AXE11000? The port on Both routers is labeled 2.5 GE..

If you want to know about the modem, ask the ISP. Some of those have two outbound Ethernet ports so it might work but you may have to pay extra or it may not be allowed by the ISP. Others have tried using aggregation from one modem and had problems making that work.


I don't think you understand what we are talking about here.

AX11000



The Wan Port is only capable of 1Gb max transfer speed. But you can enable Wan Aggregation Combining the Wan+Lan 4 to achieve max 2Gb speed. But only if both the modem and router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad. The XB7 does not support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad

AXE11000



The Wan Port supports speeds up to 2.5Gb and does not require Wan Aggregation.