cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 2.5G Port Unable To Reach 1.5G Speed

MegaHapa
Level 7
Sup all? Haven't posted in a long time.

Upgraded my interwebs here today, got a 1.5G line and did a test using the new modem hit 1.6G no problem wired in using CAT8.

Set bridge mode on the modem, power cycled and connected it to my AX11000, plugged my PC in to the 2.5G port and hit only 940M instead of 1.5G. Is the WAN port on the router capable of hitting the 1.5G speed???? Can't find any info on this.

So basically its an XB7 modem, using a CAT8 cable from port 4 on the modem which is 2.5G capable to the WAN on the AX11000 and then to my PC using CAT8 to the 2.5G from the router to the 2.5G on my Apex XII.
17 REPLIES 17

MegaHapa wrote:
I don't think you understand what we are talking about here.

AX11000

The Wan Port is only capable of 1Gb max transfer speed. But you can enable Wan Aggregation Combining the Wan+Lan 4 to achieve max 2Gb speed. But only if both the modem and router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad. The XB7 does not support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad

AXE11000

The Wan Port supports speeds up to 2.5Gb and does not require Wan Aggregation.

I think the manual has the ports labeled incorrectly. The only 2.5 GB port is the far right port. The one you highlight is the WAN port which the manual shows as 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN. That port is Blue for a WAN port.

I am looking at the actual router, AXE11000. The port indications are the same on both versions but located in different positions.. I am not lucky enough to have an internet connection fast enough to test..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I think the manual has the ports labeled incorrectly. The only 2.5 GB port is the far right port. The one you highlight is the WAN port which the manual shows as 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN. That port is Blue for a WAN port.

I am looking at the actual router, AXE11000. The port indications are the same on both versions but located in different positions.. I am not lucky enough to have an internet connection fast enough to test..

The AXE-11000's Wan port supports 2.5Gb as well as the 2.5Gb Lan port. The AX does not.

I don't want to thread-hijack, and I will post my issue(s) separately in another post, but I couldn't help but comment on this one as it related to my situation. I also cannot get my current configuration to provide my 1300mbps speed across multiple devices, even after doing all this research months back and thinking, "Oh if I just buy a multi-port 2.5g switch, I won't have all my devices throttled below 1gbps. And I had thought I had it figured out at one point. Alas, how wrong I was.

My hardware:

I have tried so many different configurations (using at least CAT6A, CAT7 or CAT8 cables) of what to plug into what first. Currently I have the 2.5g port out of the S33 modem and into the 2.5g port on the AX11000 router. Then out of the AX11000 router's blue (WAN?) port and into one of the four 2.5g ports on the switch. Then out of the switch, I have a 2.5g port and cable running to my desktop PC's 2.5g onboard ethernet port.

I verified I can get 1300 and nearly 1400 mbps speeds when I run the 2.5ge port on the S33 modem straight to my desktop PC. I've also verified I can break over 1gbps WiFi speeds on various PC devices (desktop, laptop) and mobile phones when plugged into the 2.5g port on the router, but then anything hardwired is capped at 900-something MBPS.

Just hoping my posting here helps anyone like the OP or anyone else with the same problem. I'll go create my own post and make it more fancy with pics. I just hope someone can help. I don't know if I should run the modem 2.5ge straight to the router first, then to the switch? Or to the switch, then back to the router… Or am I screwed or limited by the hardware somehow? Should I run a cable from the S33 modem's 2.5ge port to the router's 2.5ge port and then run another cable from the S33 modem's 1ge port to the blue "WAN" port on the AX11000 router?

I could care less if all Wi-Fi devices were capped below 1000 mbps / 1gbps as long as I could have at least my own desktop PC device able to get over 1000mbps when hardwired especially.

Thanks and I hope this helps you too OP!

So, being a person who endured the same confusion when trying to get my connection above 1GB using the S33 and the AX-11000. I have the 2.5GB port from the modem connected to the 2.5GB Ethernet port on the AX and the second 1GB Ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the AX.   Both cables from the modem are CAT6E, the exact same specs, and 3ft long. I have two cables running from the AX (Ports 1 and 2) to my computer which has a 2.5GB port and a 10GB port. I have a CAT8 in the 10GB port and CAT6E in the 2.5GB port. Enabled Dual WAN and set the primary/secondary ports to the 2.5GB port, set it to load balance 3:1. 

Comcast swore that it would be impossible to use both ports using only one IP address. There are some other changes that I made that are particular to my setup since I'm also using an ASUS ROG STRIX Motherboard. It tops out at around 1400Mbps down and 40 up with no Wifi. 

Precog1982_0-1680306873840.png

I am curious since the AX11000 similar to the AXE11000 in that it has a single “multi Gig” port if you keep the 2.5 G (modem) to 2.5 G (AX11000 port), remove the 2nd WAN connection, then just run LAN aggregation what speed you get?  As Comcast notes you are only given 1 IP address, is it not the same result?

Interesting,  1432 DL and 41.75 UL. Ping 11.6 and jitter 0.70. The internet status switched to unplugged, WAN IP is 0.0.0.0 yet nothing has changed. It's pulling 100% of the bandwidth completely through the 2.5G ports and no Wifi. Even more amazing is there are 20 connected devices. I think initially I had it configured as an access point but now it's only in wireless router mode. The speed test on the ASUS Wireless router consistently hit that speed, but when tested via the internet browser, it has never been above 940Mbps. I'm pretty sure these are being measured at different points. 1420 from the router to the server, but substantially less from the browser to the server. 

Precog1982_0-1680406011099.png

jzchen
Level 14

If you want to pull higher than 1 Gbps LAN side probably the cheapest way is to add a dual NIC that supports 802.3ad and run the exact same spec parallel cables from computer to AX11000.  It’s been over 20 years since I’ve tinkered inside a PC I have no idea what PCI type is current, but here’s one:

Gigabit Dual NIC with Intel 82576 Chip, 1Gb Network Card Compare to Intel E1G42ET NIC, 2 RJ45 Ports, PCI Express 2.1 X1, Ethernet Card with Low Profile for Windows/Windows Server/Linux https://a.co/d/bOpQRWp

sikotic1
Level 7

I have the GT-AX11000 router with 2GB ISP Service. Through the ISP's router it was pulling 1.8 GB and after I switched to this router it still pulls consistent (1.6 - 1.8GB). I plugged the cable from the modem into the 2.5GB port, in the UI under dual wan, set Primary to the 2.5 Port. (Don't turn on Dual Wan).

Individual devices downstream will only pull "Up to" 1GB each, as the LAN ports are only capable of that and of course it depends on their hardware anyway. Having the larger pipe is most useful when you have a house full of devices that love internet bandwidth so they can all share the load but not restrict each other, not really so one can have a full 2GB download on a PC. (Yet)