cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 Router lack of firmware in almost a year

checkyourmirror
Level 8
Anyone know why the GT-AC5300 router hasn't had even a security patch in almost year? I'm seen a number of security issues fixed via firmware updates to other routers, and seems very odd that for a product which is still For Sale, hasn't had an update in about nine months. It does make me concerned about the security of my home network but also the lack of information concerned about ASUS support.
6 REPLIES 6

ahfoo
Level 13
As far as I understand from my distributor here, the GT-AC5300 already no more in production. But having said that it should continue it support as far. But it strange to see other older router still having firmware update till now. Hopefully it will continue the firmware upgrade support.

It’s still listed as a Featured Product on this site with a Buy button, so a disconnect between the support side and sales at least. Hopefully someone from ASUS can clarify.

ahfoo
Level 13
If I am not wrong, it may be the balance available stock. Nevertheless I hope it can continue support future firmware upgrade for another 2-3 years.

I have been a user of ASUS routers since 2013, based on upgrade policy.
In that time I have recommended many friends and Â*family to purchase ASUS routers
Given the lack of updates for the GT AC5300, I have removed this router from my mesh network.
I am looking to upgrade to Wifi 6 and possibly waiting for Wifi 7, so it would be a great opportunity to hear from the ASUS on the upgrade policy for its products.
If this is not available, I may have to consider the router options based third party firmware support such as Merlin.
Â*

Funny, I am thinking the exact same thing for Wifi 6 which is why trust a company that seems to have abandoned a fairly new router after I spent a hundreds of dollars on two of them. It's too bad given an email or reply on clarity could answer all of our questions.
Â*

Â*Â*
UKoldguy wrote:
I have been a user of ASUS routers since 2013, based on upgrade policy.
In that time I have recommended many friends and Â*family to purchase ASUS routers
Given the lack of updates for the GT AC5300, I have removed this router from my mesh network.
I am looking to upgrade to Wifi 6 and possibly waiting for Wifi 7, so it would be a great opportunity to hear from the ASUS on the upgrade policy for its products.
If this is not available, I may have to consider the router options based third party firmware support such as Merlin.
Â*

Heads up there is a new firmware for the GT-AC5300 as of 3-17-2022!