cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giggle Fiber ISP 1 G Service: Yes, I'm Giggling! Speed Test Riddle...

jzchen
Level 14

I needed a replacement PC as my old one may have been damaged by sprinklers spraying through the open window one day.  I saw a refurbished PC on sale at Micro Center and bought it.  Since I paid very little I splurged on a 10 Gb ethernet card.  In essence this little PC is running 10 G backhaul through two 10 G switches to my AXE16000.  One of the first things I did was run speed tests.   Speedtest on the router out just tested 1077.50 Mbps download.  Yes, strangely running speedtest through Microsoft Edge is actually showing higher speeds than I've gotten on the router itself, as well as the app by that matter, which Ookla claims should be faster.  Strangely somewhat recently I found QoS was on, which I don't remember ever turning on, and I lost this phenomenon until I turned it off just prior...

EDIT-  Tried to remove visible IP from image...

I saw someone mention that these results are possibly inflated?  (My ISP provided modem has a 2.5 G ethernet port connected to the AXE16000 2.5 G WAN port, and it's a cable modem service, not fiber as the ISP's name implies).

3 REPLIES 3

Saltgrass
Level 13

My cable system will do around 16% faster than the advertised, such as 580 Mbps with a 500 Mbps advertised speed.

QoS is defaulted to off, on my system.

But it sounds like you are not having any problems.  I suppose they had to go to a 2.5 Gbps port because the speed would be a little higher than the basic 1 Gbps.  I wonder if Spectrum would replace my modem if I went to 1 Gbps.  They may even have to rewire everything, and the install is fairly expensive.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jzchen
Level 14

Thanks for the input.  Spectrum doesn’t have the best reputation around here.  Part of that is personal experience because unfortunately our house is at the outer edge of their service area, and we get poor reception of their TV service and slowish internet.  They have, similar to AT&T did, (no recent AT&T experience,) have introductory contract pricing, which jumps up after 1 yr or 2.  One of my friends found a workaround to keep getting the promotion, but I won’t publicly mention it.  I have another friend who just so happens to live in the same city, who is patiently living with the post promotion higher pricing, waiting for Sonic 10 Gig pre-construction.

I use Giggle Fiber (primarily cable modem) which only services two cities here, just so happens to be mine and the two friends’.  They have two plans for residential and it’s a simple price for each speed 500 Mbps or 1 Gig, no contract, no promotional period…

Curious is the Web GUI speed test faster than OOKLA app, (if you happen to have it), which is faster than a browser www.Speedtest.net test?

One would expect the order from fastest to slowest would be: router > OOKLA app > web browser.  But mine is web browser > OOKLA app > router, at least with QoS OFF.  This is pure throughput I did not compare latency/ping.

One thing I like to do every now and then is watch the download speeds in the Task Manager.   Yesterday, I downloaded the .iso file for Windows 11 23H2, which is over 6 GBs.   A sustained download, such as this,Download.jpg will give you a good idea of your speed, but it does depend on other network traffic.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200