cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontier 1G vs Spectrum 1G, Which to Choose?

jzchen
Level 14
Debating on which to choose. EarthLink does offer service at our address in San Dimas, CA, but if for example I add their $102/mo 1 G service to cart it notes Frontier provides the installation. Frontier (direct) is $75/mo. (Both Frontier and EarthLink are Fiber, but may use COAX last mi. I see a Verizon box outside which I believe Frontier has bought/taken over).
I was hoping I could convince my wife to get the 2 Gbps at $150/mo but she was very reluctant, and then Frontier removed that option when I enter our address)! Spectrumm (cable, you get what you pay for) is $40/mo but you provide your own router, (along with dismal 35 Mbps upload speed if what I read online is true). If we end up with Spectrum I plan on getting an RT-AX89X. (May swap with AXE11000 nodeI have here at my parents' house depending...). I'll try to live with the Eero Pro 6 if we get Frontier as it's free/included.

My wife likes to look at online reviews: the Frontier reviews on Yelp are a disaster!!! Any advice please? (TIA)
5 REPLIES 5

jzchen
Level 14
My wife ended up ordering the Frontier 1 G service. The salesman she spoke to was trying to sell their $39.99 500 Mbps service, but luckily I convinced her to get the 1Gbps service. They are supposed to come Monday afternoon to setup....

So the ONT has both Ethernet and Coax output that can be run into the house. Currently coax makes a long run into the center of the house. Preferably I'd like a shorter Ethernet run, into the house and avoid the MoCa, but the Ethernet would likely be visible along the interior wall...

xeromist
I suppose it depends where you would like to setup your equipment (ie router). The center of the house sounds better if you are going to have a wireless AP attached, but finding space for the equipment that doesn't look messy could be a challenge. Every house is different.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I suppose it depends where you would like to setup your equipment (ie router). The center of the house sounds better if you are going to have a wireless AP attached, but finding space for the equipment that doesn't look messy could be a challenge. Every house is different.

Thank you.

I ended up asking if ethernet, (higher throughput I believe,) could be run to my son's room, (which happens to be the shortest possibility, and who most needs strong signal). I was informed they run a fiber line in through the wall to the ONT. (I was happy with that). Unfortunately the next morning (today) the service went down. I checked for a known outage and nope, it is our house. They ran fiber from a small hub next to the street to our house above ground, (because they determined that the one underground had failed), and someone's supposed to come and run one underground, or burry the one they ran. I followed it from the hub to the house and it looks fine. Sigh....

Frontier has a 1* Yelp rating when my wife searched our city of San Dimas. Now I know why. (Unfortunately she noted that Spectrum, the other, cheaper option, only got 1.9 *) .

I got to go back to the house tomorrow morning between 8-12....

jzchen
Level 14
Glad to say it was back up and running on the next Monday, and they kindly credited the down time off the next bill. Upload is actually faster than download, and someone else on the other side of the CONUS shared the same thing.

Speeds seem to fluctuate more than cable. (Apparently there is a way to share a fiber connection)...