cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware updates breaks admin GUI on AC66U B1

ember1205
Level 7
I have two of these routers that I use in a mesh setup. Neither is directly connected to my cable modem, but I have one operating as a "router" so that I can leverage the DHCP server on it. The other is in AP mode.

I upgraded the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.48262 via download from here: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AC66U-B1/HelpDesk_B... (since they are not direct connected to the Internet, they will not download the firmware directly and I have to use the manual update method).

Post-update, each router restarted and everything is back online EXCEPT the ability to access the admin GUI. I get the login page, it accepts my credentials, and attempts to redirect to the main page and just clocks until it finally times out and completely dies. I get a partial rendering of the page (missing all of the items down the left side) and nothing more. If I attempt to click any of the links on the page (firmware, SSID's, network map, etc.) it just returns me to the login page.

SSH is not enabled.

I wouldn't care about doing a hard reset, but I have a number of DHCP reservations that I've built and I never thought to grab a backup of the configuration (or the DHCP reservations) before pushing the firmware update.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Level 14
Are you trying to log in via Ethernet or WiFi? Should be Ethernet direct to the "router".

jzchen wrote:
Are you trying to log in via Ethernet or WiFi? Should be Ethernet direct to the "router".

While the connection isn't actually direct, it's pretty close. My device is connected to a switch, and that switch is connected to one of the LAN ports on the router. So, it's a cabled connection.

Here's a couple of items of additional weirdness...

If I let it clock until it timed out, I would get a partial page with a couple of different links I could click. If I chose (as an example) the link that indicated the kind of deployment that was chosen (Wireless Router / AP Mode), that would initially take me back to the auth page. If I log in again, though, it would bring me to the deployment page as I had clicked and everything would load correctly.

After choosing a handful of these links to take me somewhere -other- than the main post-auth landing page, things started to work correctly everywhere. I haven't tried a reboot since the pages began to render properly, but I did backup the configurations and take screen shots from the DHCP reservation section.

I've had a long history with many many switches back to the days when 100Mbps Full Duplex was considered FAST. I just recently switched to 2.5Gbps backbone as I had the house wired with Cat 6e (I think 650 MHz rated) back in 2004 when it was built. In one room an old 1000Mbps computer connected to a 2.5 G switch, to the wall 2.5 G all the way to the router and 1Gbps service (admittedly running max 8xx Mbps on ASUS speed test from router out). When I run speedtest.net is in the 5xMbps range. Something is wrong with the computer it's too old....

A lot of name brand switches didn't quite impress me. I could replace with a lesser known name back in the days and feel improved performance, Linksys was one of the weakest, Netgear was an improvement. I honestly felt TP-Link and TRENDnet which were starting out performed better. BUT what I did not try (much) was just powering down the switch and turning it back on (kind of like a reboot). (My 2.5 G backbone is TRENDnet because they have more fanless switch choices. I wall mounted two 8 ports in the closet box to replace the 1 Linksys SR2016 who's fan started screaming and kept me and my wife up until I unplugged it.

Since you got your settings maybe you could try unplugging and plugging the switch back in (power reboot)...

jzchen wrote:
I've had a long history with many many switches back to the days when 100Mbps Full Duplex was considered FAST. I just recently switched to 2.5Gbps backbone as I had the house wired with Cat 6e (I think 650 MHz rated) back in 2004 when it was built. In one room an old 1000Mbps computer connected to a 2.5 G switch, to the wall 2.5 G all the way to the router and 1Gbps service (admittedly running max 8xx Mbps on ASUS speed test from router out). When I run speedtest.net is in the 5xMbps range. Something is wrong with the computer it's too old....

A lot of name brand switches didn't quite impress me. I could replace with a lesser known name back in the days and feel improved performance, Linksys was one of the weakest, Netgear was an improvement. I honestly felt TP-Link and TRENDnet which were starting out performed better. BUT what I did not try (much) was just powering down the switch and turning it back on (kind of like a reboot). (My 2.5 G backbone is TRENDnet because they have more fanless switch choices. I wall mounted two 8 ports in the closet box to replace the 1 Linksys SR2016 who's fan started screaming and kept me and my wife up until I unplugged it.

Since you got your settings maybe you could try unplugging and plugging the switch back in (power reboot)...

The two devices are connected in different areas of the house - the switch isn't (wasn't) the issue.

As stated - the issue seems to have resolved itself on BOTH devices and was related ONLY to the rendering of the initial page and the various pieces it is made up of.