cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failover internet

Koko80
Level 7
I have a GT-AC5300 router. I want to set up failover internet in case my cable internet is not working for some reason. I can get a free hotspot from T-Mobile but I can't connect that to the router. I wish the router had the ability to connect to another wifi connection and use that as its internet source on failover. What are my options here?
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I gather TMO doesn't offer a hotspot with USB? I believe that would be preferable if they offer one. Otherwise you could get a cheap AP, put it in bridge mode to the hotspot, and connect that to the GT router by ethernet.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

This is what T-Mobile currently has:
https://www.t-mobile.com/hotspots-iot-connected-devices

all have a USB connection but sometimes devices like this don't work with the ASUS router in USB mode, and sometimes they don't charge over USB either.

Do you have a suggestion for a cheap AP that would work well?

xeromist
I'm not sure about whether any of them would be compatible with ASUS routers over USB. I think that's something you'd just have to look around and see if anyone has posted about successfully using one of those hotspots with a router.

Another option might be if you find a different older hotspot that people have had success with and throw a sim in that. Just be careful it isn't so old that it's relying on discontinued frequencies/bands.

For a cheap AP? I'm guessing just about anything that supports bridge mode. It only needs to support a single link between the hotspot and your main router. Barebones with minimal extra features. Whatever is on sale and has acceptable reviews I suppose.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…