cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AXE11000 Wireless Gaming Issues

woymfsu03
Level 7
So I’ve had the router for a few months now and was working well or so I thought for a while but recently my ps5 and Xbox series x speeds have just tanked. I run speed tests on speed test.net and on the ps5 I can’t even get over 100mbps and the series x gets around 150mbps. My speeds are 500mbps down and 100mbps up. I posted over on the snb forums (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/axe11000-wireless-gaming-concerns.79471/ ) and they gave me some suggestions that worked for about a day but they all seem to not be working anymore. I have used default firmware. Merlin firmware. Flashed firmware multiple times. Reset device multiple times. Hell I even bought a new router the exact same model and it does the same thing with this one as well. On my iPad I get over 500mbps, on my Pixel 4a I get over 400mbps and both FireTV Stick 4k max devices both get over 400mbps in the same location as the consoles. I’ve deleted the connections on both devices. Reset the devices. Restarted devices. Disabled universal beamforming.*Disable OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO.*Disable Multi-User MIMO. Disabled 802.11ax/ac Beamforming/ Explicit Beamforming. I’m absolutely lost as to what can be the issue other than having a bad ps5 and a bad series x. I’ve actually gotten speeds over 400mbps on the ps5 and around 275mbps on the series x before using these settings from the post. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.*
627 Views
10 REPLIES 10

jzchen
Level 14
Thanks for sharing that other thread I went to read what's going on...

15 yards is about 45 feet. This seems a bit far. Curious if you can test an ethernet connection and see what speeds you can achieve? I suspect some sort of interference (my initial thought)....

Full signal on both the series x and ps5. Same as signal strength on the router information. I’ve gotten these speeds before but they lasted for a few tests and changed the next day. But they never went this low once those settings mentioned earlier were changed until now. It could be like the last post on the other forum with just the ps5 Wi-Fi sucks right now. The series x has never gotten over 300mbps and it’s currently under 200 now. I’ve started from scratch on the router and devices as well. But the iPad and pixel 4a both got over 500mbps today in the exact same location and distance away from the router. It’s just frustrating lol. I love technology but it can be a real pain in the ass sometimes haha. As for the Ethernet cord it is possible but I would get yelled at for why is there a long ass cable in the living room lol.Â*

Â*
jzchen wrote:
Thanks for sharing that other thread I went to read what's going on...

15 yards is about 45 feet. This seems a bit far. Curious if you can test an ethernet connection and see what speeds you can achieve? I suspect some sort of interference (my initial thought)....

I used to use NetSpot but now use WiFi Analyzer (paid version). I still have NetSpot but don't use it much. I had to access developer mode and change one setting to improve performance on my Android phone, (for both apps supposedly). Probably a good idea to see what is really going on and actual signal strength in dBm.

I'm not sure why those recommendations were made. I do not game have you tried the Game Boost feature?....

Here's default settings on my AXE16000 for 5 GHz. I don't quite agree with what was recommended to you...

The android is getting great speeds. Basically more than what I pay for now actually. I use the Wi-Fi radar on the router to see other signals and there are a few 2.4ghz ones on the upper channels I have channel 1 alone. As for 5ghz channels there is only one other and it barely picks up and sometimes it can’t even see it. I live in a rural area so I don’t really have the issue of other people like in the city. Local cable company got a grant about a decade back and provide fiber gigabit internet to rural areas in the county. So lucky that ever happened.

As for your settings those are just default settings that came with the router itself.

Never used game boost. From what most people say using Qos with fast internet is kinda pointless because the router has to actually process it instead of just releasing the data. It works sometimes then it doesn’t. I’m starting to think it’s just a ps5 and series x issue at this point though.Â*
Â*
Â*
jzchen wrote:
I used to use NetSpot but now use WiFi Analyzer (paid version). I still have NetSpot but don't use it much. I had to access developer mode and change one setting to improve performance on my Android phone, (for both apps supposedly). Probably a good idea to see what is really going on and actual signal strength in dBm.

I'm not sure why those recommendations were made. I do not game have you tried the Game Boost feature?....

Here's default settings on my AXE16000 for 5 GHz. I don't quite agree with what was recommended to you...

Saltgrass
Level 13
If you go to the Network map section and show the list of clients, you will see the Link Speeds indicated. Do those speeds agree with what you are seeing for those devices?

I don't know what type of Wi-Fi those your two devices have as far as 2x2 or AX capability. Some gaming systems seem to use 1x1 so those speeds would be lower.

I will assume you have run tests with the second device either powered down or moved to another area of the house. I will also assume you only have one floor to deal with.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

On the tx rate the ps5 is 1201 and 1080 rx rate. Series x is 866 and 390. The ps5 has Wi-Fi 6 (ax) and the series x only has Wi-Fi 5 (ac).

Â*Not sure about the 1x1 or 2x2.Â*

Yes all tests are done with the other device completely turned off and not in standby more. They do not show up as connected to the router. And yes only one floor.Â*


Â*
Saltgrass wrote:
If you go to the Network map section and show the list of clients, you will see the Link Speeds indicated. Do those speeds agree with what you are seeing for those devices?

I don't know what type of Wi-Fi those your two devices have as far as 2x2 or AX capability. Some gaming systems seem to use 1x1 so those speeds would be lower.

I will assume you have run tests with the second device either powered down or moved to another area of the house. I will also assume you only have one floor to deal with.

Sorry for the late replies. Used the ps5 and speed tests were below 100 this morning. Played some gran Turks lol online with no issues like always. Did another test and shot up to 250. Just did another as we speak and same thing. As for the series x speed test this morning was 170 and just now it was 170 again. Funny thing is I had an update a ps5 game and I checked the app and it was over 300. Series x downloads usually show 200 on the Xbox itself when happening. So maybe it’s just the speed test from the browser on ps5. Series x has always had those speeds basically. I’ve gotten 250 on the speed test but never anything over that.Â*

There was an update for the axe11000 today sent out so I’m going to update probably over the weekend and see what happens then. Thanks again for the replies and insight. Â*

I updated mine last night but since it's a node there is no access to it's OS to see how it's working/setup.

I hope the update improves things. Maybe try to rotate the PS5/Xbox to face different directions so the antenna(e) have a better "view" to the router. I rotated an IoT car battery charger and got improved signal to the node inside our house...

jeremyhoomes wrote:
On the tx rate the ps5 is 1201 and 1080 rx rate. Series x is 866 and 390. The ps5 has Wi-Fi 6 (ax) and the series x only has Wi-Fi 5 (ac).
Not sure about the 1x1 or 2x2.

Yes all tests are done with the other device completely turned off and not in standby more. They do not show up as connected to the router. And yes only one floor.



The link speed the ps5 is showing may indicate a 1x1 configuration. You would only know if you moved it closer to the router and it would not go above the 1201 number.

But you seem to have normal connection speeds so possibly what you are seeing is due to the type of files being transferred or something is managing your bandwidth.

I suppose the question needs to be, are you seeing specific problems with the operation of your systems due to low bandwidth? It seems the router is getting full ISP speeds, as are your other devices. So, since your link speeds are normal, it would not seem something on the Router was limiting your speeds.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the speeds you see on the ps5, if it is 1x1, will be about 1/2 of the speeds you see on 2x2 devices.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200