cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AX11000 firmware .7979 is awful - DO NOT UPDATE

Sprayingmango
Level 10
My router has been ROCK solid until this update. Router loses connection every few minutes now, have to reboot the router several times just to maintain connection for devices. This is an awful update. I was ready to buy 2 more of these routers for AiMesh in my new house but I will not do that now. Please can someone advise what to do?
25 REPLIES 25

ronspitzer
Level 8
Still no go for me. Installed new firmware, rebooted, reset to factory which rebooted. Reloaded config. Same result. It would only sort of work. Some of my devices could not even connect to the 2.4Ghz band. I could get the computers working by forcing a DNS server in their IP settings to point to something other than the router, that would get them going for a while but eventually they would stop working to the internet. I could access my local network OK but no internet. My smart honeywell thermostat and a couple of my older Trendnet IP cameras would not even connect. As soon as I went back to the 6436 firmware they all immediately worked again.

ronspitzer wrote:
Still no go for me. Installed new firmware, rebooted, reset to factory which rebooted. Reloaded config. Same result. It would only sort of work. Some of my devices could not even connect to the 2.4Ghz band. I could get the computers working by forcing a DNS server in their IP settings to point to something other than the router, that would get them going for a while but eventually they would stop working to the internet. I could access my local network OK but no internet. My smart honeywell thermostat and a couple of my older Trendnet IP cameras would not even connect. As soon as I went back to the 6436 firmware they all immediately worked again.

Aww man that really sucks. Based off your recomendation I reset mine to factory defaults and just set it up as a new router. So far everything is working fine for the past few hours. I don't run any special configs or anything, just optimize it for game traffic. So far so good. I have 33 devices connected, some on 2.4, some on 5 and some on 5-2.

Updated yesterday but had to rollback to the earlier firmware version. I'm using AiMesh setup with AX11000 and one AX92U node. When handing off between nodes while on 5G-1 (and on 5G-2) on my S10+, connection would drop from 300 Mbps to 1 Mbps for at least a minute and when the speed finally went back up, I was at only 25% of the speed. Once I went back to the earlier firmware, everything was back to normal using both 5G-1 and 5G-2 with no problems.

Of note, I have wired ethernet backhaul between router and node and have been using 5G-2 (not hidden) for over a month to keep the wifi6 speed when handing off between nodes and haven't had a problem with the 6436 firmware. I have 40+ devices on both the 5G-1 and 2.4G connections with only my phone on 5G-2.

I had wireless speed losses, but by setting the channel manually to 128 and then to 104 (44-64 on 5G-1 band), i.e. forcing the router to change channels and then returning to the channel selected at the beginning, it was like unlocked and now it works wonderfully (even if I set the automatic selection of the Wi-Fi channel).

To operate the 160 mhz band, you need to manually set the control channel (I checked with a network analyzer) .

Updated the latest firmware for two days and not having any issue. I always keep a habit to a reset after each upgrade of firmware.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme / Intel I7 3960K / GSkill TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX/ Asus 7970 DirectCUII TOP / Seasonic X series X-760 / Silverstone FT02 LE / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB

borntowin wrote:
Updated the latest firmware for two days and not having any issue. I always keep a habit to a reset after each upgrade of firmware.

That might be the key for some of the issues. Reset first then apply update.

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and wish you guys well for the new year's of 2020.

Please correct me if I was wrong, I always believed that all info store within Non Volatile RAM need to flush out prior to any new system firmware/BIOS upgrade. I do suggest all user who encounter any issue with firmware upgrade.

Not only to router, I do hard reset to my Asus MB every time if there is any new BIOS update.

I hope it help, till now I never encounter any issue or problems upgrading firmware of Asus router. Remember, One issue do not always lead to another.

Being using this router for 6 months and it serve me well. Having said that, it still giving me some very tiny penny problems such as it produce more heat than my previous Asus router.

The only complained for Asus router team always fall back and work with bug fixed only according to our feedback. For those improvement and progressive suggestion will go to their new range. I hope they do take care to improve and upgrade for their older version. Their product good but aint cheap for most consumer.

That update made the internet connection weak. 250 up 100 down there what I had before, but now with the update 10 up 100 down
Firmware AX11000 .7979
is a total disaster :mad:
Every gamer has suffered from small-screen videos