cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-AC88U Drops HomeKit Devices WLCEVENTD

resaix
Level 7
I have this extremely annoying thing where my router keeps dropping all my wifi devices for a few seconds then reconnects again.


----- This are the last events, no edit between them ----
Jan 12 20:51:15 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 40:CB:C0:76:5A:33
Jan 12 21:13:03 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 40:CB:C0:76:5A:33
Jan 12 21:36:21 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 54:BD:79:05:87:76
Jan 12 21:52:29 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc D4:90:9C:ED:9A:70
Jan 12 22:01:01 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc D4:90:9C:ED:9A:70
Jan 12 22:55:50 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc A0:9D:C1:20:3B:D6
Jan 12 22:55:50 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc A0:9D:C1:20:3B:D6
Jan 12 22:55:58 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 00:7E:56:77:30:11
Jan 12 22:55:58 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 00:7E:56:77:30:11



This is what shows up in the logs. Every single homekit devices resets at this point, lights turn on (the default state) and homekit outlets reset, turning off and on (no idea why they turn off but whatever). Its really annoying, had this router for about 1 year and didn't have any problems with it..it just started doing this few weeks ago.

Anyone else knows whats up with these WLCEVENTD events? and how can they be fixed?
If the issue keep persisting I'll send it to fix it since its still in warranty...it was an expensive router and it shouldn't mess with HomeKit devices or have any issues at all imo. Paid 300$ for this thing 😕
21,362 Views
10 REPLIES 10

cyberlipe
Level 7
I see similar logs on ROG GT-AC5300, and I do agree they are very strange.

I guess this is on the account of the last firmware.

while I do have some homekit compatible itens like phillips hue or august lock, they seem to be working fine, as of now.

tks
Felipe

Its weird because some days it doesn't do it at all and others it does it every few hours. Will wait a few weeks to see if they update the firmware and it fixes this...if not then I'll send it to warranty and see what we can do there.

cyberlipe wrote:
I see similar logs on ROG GT-AC5300, and I do agree they are very strange.

I guess this is on the account of the last firmware.


Same issue here on the GT-AC5300 with the wlceventd logs.
*I also see 97% RAM usage constant.
* Let me know if anyone figures it out - haven’t seen a firmware release fix yet.*

mrc00l88 wrote:
Same issue here on the GT-AC5300 with the wlceventd logs.
*I also see 97% RAM usage constant.
* Let me know if anyone figures it out - haven’t seen a firmware release fix yet.*


Memory usage is linked with HDD. If you wish to release half of memory, either do "Restart" or:

Go to Network Map -> USB 3.0 HDD -> Health Scanner -> Rescan

This will release your memory!

Cheers :cool:

stefan063 wrote:
Memory usage is linked with HDD. If you wish to release half of memory, either do "Restart" or:

Go to Network Map -> USB 3.0 HDD -> Health Scanner -> Rescan

This will release your memory!

Cheers :cool:


@stefan062 - thank you, any idea how long it takes to ramp up to the 97% from reset? I just did reset it, and in fact usage went down to 44%.
Do you know why it even gets to 97% and stays there (seems high to me) from the HDD usage in the first place?
Shouldn't it automatically 'dump' whatever ram/memory usage at some point?
Is there a 'fix' for this? Or just need to reset or rescan the HDD every 'x' number of days?

mrc00l88 wrote:
@stefan062 - thank you, any idea how long it takes to ramp up to the 97% from reset? I just did reset it, and in fact usage went down to 44%.
Do you know why it even gets to 97% and stays there (seems high to me) from the HDD usage in the first place?
Shouldn't it automatically 'dump' whatever ram/memory usage at some point?
Is there a 'fix' for this? Or just need to reset or rescan the HDD every 'x' number of days?


It can ramp up in just few sec. Depending what you are pulling form HDD. I have set it to Rescan every day at 3AM.

It has been made in such manor so that it can get more frequent info from HDD faster. It caches it to internal memory. For me it is fast with and without internal cache. Try setting Rescan every day at certain point and see how it goes. I thought it was the "issue" like you did year/two ago, maybe sooner but as it turned out its not.

stefan063 wrote:
It can ramp up in just few sec. Depending what you are pulling form HDD. I have set it to Rescan every day at 3AM.

It has been made in such manor so that it can get more frequent info from HDD faster. It caches it to internal memory. For me it is fast with and without internal cache. Try setting Rescan every day at certain point and see how it goes. I thought it was the "issue" like you did year/two ago, maybe sooner but as it turned out its not.


Sure, that makes sense with the cache (just opened some stuff from HDD and saw the RAM go up) - but it shouldn't let it max out.. should it? Or does it keep overwriting the cache when it reaches 97% (highest % I've ever seen it).

I would think there should be a 'Clear HDD cache' option or something to automatically clear the cache at some point, instead of having to setup a HDD scan..

Seems like rescanning the HDD each time is more of a workaround you've found - similar to resetting the router fix 🙂

Say, would the RAM usage staying at 97% cause performance issues?

mrc00l88 wrote:
Sure, that makes sense with the cache (just opened some stuff from HDD and saw the RAM go up) - but it shouldn't let it max out.. should it? Or does it keep overwriting the cache when it reaches 97% (highest % I've ever seen it).

I would think there should be a 'Clear HDD cache' option or something to automatically clear the cache at some point, instead of having to setup a HDD scan..

Seems like rescanning the HDD each time is more of a workaround you've found - similar to resetting the router fix 🙂

Say, would the RAM usage staying at 97% cause performance issues?


Well, at my end it went to 98% max. 2-3 software version before this one, made some performance issues for me, but now there are no issues at all. It is OK by Asus for memory to go MAX, but I think it shouldn't keep cache full and on long periods of time. It should clear more frequently, but that maybe bad for some users that use HDD a LOT. This is ok for me, the way it is now, but I think Asus should enable some option so that we can manually set how much and for how long router caches files. As for rescaning it is way easier than resetting the router every time.

stefan063 wrote:
Well, at my end it went to 98% max. 2-3 software version before this one, made some performance issues for me, but now there are no issues at all. It is OK by Asus for memory to go MAX, but I think it shouldn't keep cache full and on long periods of time. It should clear more frequently, but that maybe bad for some users that use HDD a LOT. This is ok for me, the way it is now, but I think Asus should enable some option so that we can manually set how much and for how long router caches files. As for rescaning it is way easier than resetting the router every time.


Thank you, ive just recently been monitoring the router since ive been having problems lately (seemingly with this recent firmware) and the 97% jumped out.

I agree with the cache should not be going to max.. and the 'reset cache' option should be added - I will add to the firmware thread, hopefully they see some notes there. Maybe we can submit via the feedback within the router as well.

Rescanning HDD im sure is easier than a reset, but at the expense of your HDD life.. when it is an Asus inconvenience/issue.

Thank you for the help with your info.