cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone using GT-AX11000 without issues?

JeffLo
Level 10
hello just wanted to ask if anyone used the ax11000 without any issue for more then 6months here?
are you turning on the ai protection features?

i have use 2 ax11000 already they have the same problem, after a few months like 2-3 months i need to keep factory reset for it to go back to normal
its like a memory leak problem
22 REPLIES 22

Yes I have, I can only see my network on the WiFi radar.
I am fortunate that I live in a free standing house, and my first immediate neighbor is perhaps ~80 feet or more from my study window, and well over 150 on the other side.
On occasion I may see their network, but its pretty low signal strength.

I have tried to set the channels to be far away from my neighbors network. I also set their router up when they were having IT issues. (I am the friendly neighborhood IT dude)
So there is no congestion. I have also used a mobile phone app by Netgear to also check the surrounding networks for congestion, this mirrors what I see in WiFi radar.

Andrew_2468 wrote:
Yes I have, I can only see my network on the WiFi radar.
I am fortunate that I live in a free standing house, and my first immediate neighbor is perhaps ~80 feet or more from my study window, and well over 150 on the other side.
On occasion I may see their network, but its pretty low signal strength.

I have tried to set the channels to be far away from my neighbors network. I also set their router up when they were having IT issues. (I am the friendly neighborhood IT dude)
So there is no congestion. I have also used a mobile phone app by Netgear to also check the surrounding networks for congestion, this mirrors what I see in WiFi radar.

Here is the Radar screen.

Coincidentally I am unable to see the 2.4Ghz on any of my devices right now. I did a power cycle before I took this image.
Cant see it on my laptop or mobile phone.

Also, note that the available capacity is 0??

ahfoo
Level 13
Unless you really need for your enviorment. Keeping as stock firmware all good to go for better fail safe measure. Third part firmware at te end of the day still build
around the fundermenttal of stock firware. Third parties firmware just Changing another perspective dimesnsion and work well if you really need it acccording to your requirement.

ahfoo wrote:
Unless you really need for your enviorment. Keeping as stock firmware all good to go for better fail safe measure. Third part firmware at te end of the day still build
around the fundermenttal of stock firware. Third parties firmware just Changing another perspective dimesnsion and work well if you really need it acccording to your requirement.

Merlin works alongside ASUS (but not for them).
Some of his work ends up in official stock releases.

'Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin and were eventually implemented in the official firmware:

HTTPS configuration interface
Persistent JFFS partition
LED control - put your router in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs
Turning WPS button into a radio on/off toggle
Clicking on the MAC address of an unidentified client will do a lookup in the OUI database.
WakeOnLan web interface (with pre-configured targets)
Display active/tracked network connections
VPN Status page
DualWAN and Repeater mode (while it was still under development by Asus)
Basic OpenVPN (client and server) support
Configurable IPv6 firewall
Improved compatibility with 3TB+ and Advanced Format HDDs
SSH access
Disk spindown after user-configurable inactivity timeout
Updated Samba version (3.6), with SMB2.0 support
TLS 1.3 support for some services (OpenSSL 1.1.1)
Modern DDNS client (In-a-Dyn), with https support
Full cone NAT support (on some models)
User-provided SSL certificate
Display the Ethernet port states
TLS support for the FTP server
Allow or disable WAN access to the FTP server
User-defined options for WAN DHCP requests (required by some ISPs)'

andy_3_913 wrote:
Merlin works alongside ASUS (but not for them).
Some of his work ends up in official stock releases.

'Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin and were eventually implemented in the official firmware:

HTTPS configuration interface
Persistent JFFS partition
LED control - put your router in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs
Turning WPS button into a radio on/off toggle
Clicking on the MAC address of an unidentified client will do a lookup in the OUI database.
WakeOnLan web interface (with pre-configured targets)
Display active/tracked network connections
VPN Status page
DualWAN and Repeater mode (while it was still under development by Asus)
Basic OpenVPN (client and server) support
Configurable IPv6 firewall
Improved compatibility with 3TB+ and Advanced Format HDDs
SSH access
Disk spindown after user-configurable inactivity timeout
Updated Samba version (3.6), with SMB2.0 support
TLS 1.3 support for some services (OpenSSL 1.1.1)
Modern DDNS client (In-a-Dyn), with https support
Full cone NAT support (on some models)
User-provided SSL certificate
Display the Ethernet port states
TLS support for the FTP server
Allow or disable WAN access to the FTP server
User-defined options for WAN DHCP requests (required by some ISPs)'

In my opinion work along side with official do not meant will work better (which it supposed too). But it all depend how it work with your envoirement and other 3rd party device. Firmware will always solved existing problems with pool of user having the same issue. But it do sametime create another problems. So the firmware upgrade will always require to change and improve it. This process will never stop till the product end of service cycle.

ahfoo wrote:
In my opinion work along side with official do not meant will work better (which it supposed too). But it all depend how it work with your envoirement and other 3rd party device. Firmware will always solved existing problems with pool of user having the same issue. But it do sametime create another problems. So the firmware upgrade will always require to change and improve it. This process will never stop till the product end of service cycle.

Well, personally I would trust someone whos work is adopted by ASUS, but to each their own, nobody is being forced to choose one or the other.

@Andrew_2468 I checked my WiFi Site Survey. My Max PHY Rate is 385 Mbps. Yours notes 288 Mbps, but is not my concern. My SNR is 92 dB. Your SNR is 0 dB. Try Channel 1....

Thanks for the info @andy_3_913. I do plan to try out Merlin. Perhaps it may solve my issues.
Will hopefully get some time to fiddle around with it work permitting this week.
If it doesn't help with the issue, will reflash it back to stock and take it back to the supplier.

@jzchen, Yes that is correct. I don't know much about the specifics of WiFi terminology, So I have found some info online which I will need to read.
https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/what-is-a-good-signal-level-or-signal-to-noise-ratio-snr-fo...
Basically 0 isn't good at all. Higher is better.

I have tried many different channels over the past troubleshooting I have done. But I will try it again and see if perhaps it make any difference, as now nothing on 2.4ghz works.
I have actually kept my old ISP router plugged in to handle the 2.4Ghz. But will give it another go before I Merlin this router.

Thanks for the feedback and guidance!
Appreciate it.

Indigian
Level 10
JeffLo wrote:
hello just wanted to ask if anyone used the ax11000 without any issue for more then 6months here?
are you turning on the ai protection features?

i have use 2 ax11000 already they have the same problem, after a few months like 2-3 months i need to keep factory reset for it to go back to normal
its like a memory leak problem

running flawless here but using one of the older/prerelease/testing somethings turned off etc beta
have to use Merlin 1st to use the 'external' feature for ddns then load the beta

all other firmwares results in crashes/reboots including Merlins

JeffLo
Level 10
i got a 2nd ax11000 replacement from my first problematic ax11000, it was good till last week, started acting up again, i already had a pattern that every 3months i had to do a factory reset and things would go back to being ok, now its not working anymore, going to buy a new router tommorrow, this ax11000 was my first expensive router, but is the worst ive ever used full of bugs and problems

my first ax11000 was ok till after like 6months of use, now this 2nd ax11000 also showed problems after a few months of use also around that ball park around 6months, i think the hardware just fails after a few months like its degrading really fast

now my wan would disconnect every now and then, have to wait like a min or two or something i have to manually click apply again on wan, i thought it was my isp, but i know this ax11000 had issues before, so i just factory reset or flash the firmware again, but now cant fix it anymore, ive already tried everything, bridemode to my isp modem/router or set the isp modem to router and just use the ax11000 to get internet connection from it, but no still has this wierd wan disconnects now

if i plug directly to the isp modem/router no problems so im 100% sure its the ax11000 thats buggy

my next problem is should i get another asus brand router? different model?