cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aimesh-Node RT-AC86U disconnects and reboots during large downloads

nfrisch
Level 8

Hi all,

I have an Aimesh configuration as follows.

Aimesh.png

The RT-AC86U is connected by 5GHz with ca. -65dB to -73dB to the main router, a wired connection is not possible. This Wi-Fi connection is, when using the internet "normally" (surfing, Netflix) rock stable and we achieve around 300Mbit effectively (30 .. 40Mb/s), the backhaul Rx usually is 877 MBit as depicted below.

idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
Yes Yes -91dBm ac No Yes Yes Yes 1 20M 14.4M 6M 01:49:45
Yes Yes -81dBm ac No Yes Yes Yes 1 80M 234M 6M 07:16:57
 Yes Yes -65dBm ac No Yes Yes No 4 80M 585M 877.5M 07:17:02
 Yes Yes -85dBm ac No Yes Yes Yes 1 80M 117M 117M 07:17:02
 Yes Yes -92dBm ac No Yes Yes Yes 1 40M 30M 6.5M 07:17:03

However, when initiating a large download going over the wireless backhaul, let's say more than 5 GB or several large files, the RT AC86U switches off and reboots approximately every 5 minutes. Meaning, for the period of the reboot (3min) all clients below the RT AC86U don't have internet connection. The clients connected to the main router TUF-AX5400 are still connected and unaffected.

We have no near neighbors using Wi-Fi.

For testing, I replaced the RT-AC86U by a borrowed TUF-AX3000 V2. With this router large downloads were possible without any issues. I tested 100GB without any rebooting. However, the AX backhaul wireless connection of the TUF-AX3000 V2 was not as fast as the AC connection with the RT AC86U.
The TUF-AX3000 V2 AX PHY Rx was only 300 Mbit compared to the 877 Mbit of the AC connection.

Hence, I would prefer to stay with the AC connection of the RT AC86U, but how could I solve the issue with the reboots? Any idea? I would provide you with protocols, to determine the reason for the reboots, if you would tell me where to find them.

Thanks

N.F.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Saltgrass
Level 13

I suppose the first thing to mention, if it switches off after 5 minutes, maybe it is getting hot.

Do you have the ability to bypass the 86U with one of the 68 U Nodes?

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Saltgrass
Level 13

I suppose the first thing to mention, if it switches off after 5 minutes, maybe it is getting hot.

Do you have the ability to bypass the 86U with one of the 68 U Nodes?

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

nfrisch
Level 8

Thanks. I swapped the 86U with one of the 68U.

Then I started a test DL over the new connection 5400 > 68U > 86U. 65GB successfully downloaded so far! But the speed is lower, only 50% to 75% compared to the prevoius configuration. And also web browsing is not as smooth as before.

idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
 Yes Yes -73dBm ac No Yes Yes No 3 80M 390M 526.5M 00:51:23

I am considering to improve the speed by buying a new router as receiving wireless mesh node. Would a 2nd TUF-AX5400 be a good idea? Additionally I could maybe install it outdoors, without the dampening window and in only half the distance.
My goal is to achieve the same speed as with a wired 1 GBit connection. But I am not sure if this is possible.

Just in case, the suggestion was to change the target AP setting on one of the 68Us, not to physically swap them.  If they are too far away, it would probably not help.  Taking the load off the 86U would give you an idea if it was getting hot or being overloaded, in some manner.

I suppose you could test by just turning off one of the 68Us.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

nfrisch
Level 8

The 68Us in the original configuration are extremely far away to the 5400 and would hardly reach it by wireless connection. They are on the rear side of a large building, respectively its basement, whereas the front side is pretty close to our 2nd house which is connected to the ISP to a very reasonable monthly price. Unfortunately between the houses there is public area which does not allow a cable.

Yes, although the 86U does not feel unusually warm, it may still be overheated. But if so, I am not sure how to resolve this, other than replacing it by a different router. Due to winter time at the moment it is even rather chilly in the particular room, and with upcoming summer the situation would not improve.

There are such things as outdoor Wi-Fi antennas.  Have you looked into such a thing for the longer distance?  If it were to be compatible, it should give a stronger signal than a router antenna.

If it isn't getting hot, perhaps over time, it drops enough data to cause it to reboot.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jzchen
Level 15

From 07:17:02 to 07:17:03 there’s a significant drop in rate.  Is it me or is that within 1 second?  From 877.5 to 6.5 and a horrible -92 dBm.  If you have not already done so swap the RT-AC86U with one of the RT-AC68Us and retest.  If the same problem develops there is some communication issue.  Maybe the ax to ax are able to negotiate a more stable connection….

Thanks for your comment. The figures show different devices connected to the TUF-AX5400 at a certain moment in time. They are not to be understood as showing the AC86U behaviour over time.

Only this row here shows the AC86U:

Yes Yes -65dBm ac No Yes Yes No 4 80M 585M 877.5M 07:17:02

The -90dBm devices are Alexa Echo Dots being 2 rooms away from the next aimesh node. But as the nodes, as mentioned, sometimes lose internet, the Echo Dots connect directly to the main router TUF AX5400 in the other house. This distance is about 30m, both houses are made of thick brick and windows have 3 layers. However, the TUF AX5400 router is very strong. Best router I have ever had.

Thank you for explaining how to read that!  I’m sorry I was confused.  I’d still swap RT-AC86U <-> RT-AC68U, and see if there’s a problem when TUF-AX5400 is connected to a RT-AC68U.

You mentioned windows and since I don’t know what exactly the set up is, you can also consider getting a 2 pack of ZenWiFi and create a bridge from window of building 1 and a window of building 2.  Hopefully crime is not an issue as you mentioned “public space” and someone may break your windows and take them.  (Sadly recently here in California of the USA this can be a concern)…

Thanks again. I have swapped the 86U with one of the 68Us 2 days ago. And the internet is as stable as it has never been before. And I can download as much as I want (TBs) without any connection drop. I have additionally improved the location of the 68U: I moved it from the window 2meters to the left. It is now directly at the inside of the house brick wall. This improved the link from -73dB to stable -64dB..-65dB. Apparently the 3 layer window blocks the signal significantly. The brick wall is 40cm thick, but it is a very light brick, filled with air for heat insulation.

Current link 5400/68U:
  Yes Yes -65dBm ac No Yes Yes No 3 80M 585M 877.5M 06:15:03

Effectively I get the following internet speed at a computer in the remote house:Unbenannt.JPG
This is a decent value, but my ISP contract is 1000/50Mbps, and speed tests performed with the main router TUF AX5400 achieve 850/50Mbps. So there is room for improvement. This is why I consider to buy a second AX5400. But due to your comment I now wonder if a pair of ZenWIFI would outperform a pair of TUF-AX5400?

Thanks also for pointing out crime issues. I am living at the edge of a small rural village in Germany, way off the main road. The mentioned public road is only used by a few neighbors, like 2 cars per hour. Strangers are rare here, if there are some, they are craftsman. Anyway I never lock my car and some house or shed doors are open with unlocked (expensive) bikes. Our garden irrigation system is also very expensive and parts of it can easily be stolen. So before anybody would go for the router he would steal other things, I hope.
I know that I am too careless and lazy. I have a few surveilance cameras though. There are reports from nearby bigger towns of professional gangs of thieves that break into houses. But so far our tiny village has been spared. Any strange face or car is also immediately reported in our chat group by all the bored housewives...