cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AiMesh connects on 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz

anilpnair
Level 7
Hi,

I have 2 GT-AX11000 routers, 1 set up as a main router and another set up as AI Mesh Node. After the latest firmware upgrade, I notice AiMesh only connects on 2.4GHz band and the connection quality is always "Weak". I even got one of my routers replaced as part of the warranty but the same problem persists even with the replacement. IS anyone else also facing or had faced the same issue in the past??

Also, I noticed when I select Wireless settings for 5GHz-2 band(Dedicated wireless back-haul), it also has 2.4 and 5GHz listed at the bottom. Is this normal?

Steps tried: Downgrading the firmware, swapping the router and AiMesh Node, have reset both routers multiple times.

Any help to resolve the issue would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Anil
3 REPLIES 3

jzchen
Level 14
I am having buggy behavior on my network: AXE16000, AXE11000, RT-AX86U, RT-AC68U, and RP-AX56. This is happening even though they all are connected via ethernet. Sometimes different nodes will be shown as offline. Sometimes they are shown as offline but I can go to the node IP address/AiMesh_Node_FirmwareUpgrade.asp and the page loads. Sometimes some are uplinked via WiFi (varying channels).

I suggest you turn off dedicated backhaul. (If I try to prioritize ethernet backhaul, or turn on/force ethernet backhaul, sometimes I will completely lose a node and need to manually switch it off and on)...

I have SmartConnect ON. I only turn it off IF I have difficulty adding an IoT device (since a lot of times it requires your smart phone to be connected to 2.4 GHz band). After adding I turn SmartConnect back ON. (For your reference I've attached a screenshot of my WiFi general settings). I'm still scratching my head why your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz look blank.

How far away do you guesstimate are/How many walls between the router and node from each other?

jzchen wrote:
I am having buggy behavior on my network: AXE16000, AXE11000, RT-AX86U, RT-AC68U, and RP-AX56. This is happening even though they all are connected via ethernet. Sometimes different nodes will be shown as offline. Sometimes they are shown as offline but I can go to the node IP address/AiMesh_Node_FirmwareUpgrade.asp and the page loads. Sometimes some are uplinked via WiFi (varying channels).

I suggest you turn off dedicated backhaul. (If I try to prioritize ethernet backhaul, or turn on/force ethernet backhaul, sometimes I will completely lose a node and need to manually switch it off and on)...

I have SmartConnect ON. I only turn it off IF I have difficulty adding an IoT device (since a lot of times it requires your smart phone to be connected to 2.4 GHz band). After adding I turn SmartConnect back ON. (For your reference I've attached a screenshot of my WiFi general settings). I'm still scratching my head why your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz look blank.

How far away do you guesstimate are/How many walls between the router and node from each other?

I have not even enabled the Smart Connect feature. The routers are sitting next to each other for the time being till I get this issue sorted. Generally, there are 2 walls in between them and it used to work fine with great network connectivity between them. As highlighted in my attachments, the blank 2GHz and 5GHz options only appear under the backhaul band(5GHz-2 band). When i open settings for 2.4GHz and 5GHz-1 bands, all looks OK.

mb01x
Level 7

Hi - I'm having the same or a similar issue. The dwb channel of the GT-AX11000 seems to stop working from time to time. Only a restart of the router solves the issues. Afterwards all repeaters can connect again to the dwb. When the connection drop happens, I can still see the dwb network, but I can't connect to it. I guess the repeaters have the same issue.

@anilpnair did you solve the issue by now?