cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AiMesh 2.0 nodes dropping 2.4GHz SSID

mustangtom
Level 7
I have AiMesh 2.0 with firmware 3.0.0.4_386_45934 on a pair of ZenWiFi AC (model CT8) router and node. I have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz-1 both broadcasting the same SSID, and the 5GHz-2 band is used for the backhaul. My node is routinely not broadcasting my 2.4GHz SSID, neither for my primary or guest SSIDs. I see the router broadcasting my SSIDs on channels 11 (2.4GHz) and 40 (5GHz), but the node is only broadcasting the channel 40 GHz signal. I have rebooted the node multiple times and it does not help. Rebooting both the router and the node will sometimes fix the issue for a while.

This is causing my 2.4GHz devices to only be able to connect to the router, making their signal very weak. They should connect to the closer node, but since it is not broadcasting the 2.4GHz channel, they do not see it. All radios are enabled on the router and node.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? This bug needs to be fixed.
25 REPLIES 25

jzchen wrote:
Thank you for explaining how WiFi works. My main experience has been running RJ45 Ethernet so I am not as familiar with all of this. I have tried walking around the house watching NetSpot. Yes, the Lyra Voice has no 2.4 GHz radio/signal, all three others do show a 2.4 GHz signal...

If your Lyra Voice is under warranty, I would open a ticket with Asus. Does rebooting the Lyra Voice correct the 2.4 GHz radio? If not, you might try to change it to be an access point or router and see if the 2.4 GHz re-enables in those modes.

mustangtom wrote:
If your Lyra Voice is under warranty, I would open a ticket with Asus. Does rebooting the Lyra Voice correct the 2.4 GHz radio? If not, you might try to change it to be an access point or router and see if the 2.4 GHz re-enables in those modes.

Rebooting does nothing for the 2.4 GHz radio. No 2.4 signal shows up on NetSpot, not even a blip. I did notice at least initially that 5-1 and 5-2 get a boosted dBm once rebooted.

Unfortunately even though the Lyra is practically new, as in a couple of weeks old, it no longer has a warranty. The bottom of the Lyra Voice is not flat, just a small 2" x 2" square is plastic in the center. I adhered strong velcro to secure it to the window sill so it could "see" the IoT outside that has poor connectivity. One day I heard the cat make some noise and all of a sudden a boom. The unit had fallen off the window sill to the floor. While I was definitely concerned the drop may have damaged it, I also noticed the SN sticker was still attached to the velcro on the window sill. The weak glue was between the SN sticker and the Lyra Voice. ASUS noted that so long as the fall didn't produce physical damage then it would be still covered, but the SN sticker now removed voided the warranty.

Support asked me to setup the Lyra Voice as a router all by itself to see if the 2.4 radio would work. I am fearful of somehow damaging an Anody ceiling light that is in my son's bedroom. Last time he tried to use a different app to connect to it it would randomly turn on all by itself, including the middle of the night....

EDIT- They are awesome, told me they are going to reimburse me within 30 days or so!

How's it going with yours? (This is your thread I apologize for the thread jack).

Our Lyra should be arriving at the ASUS service center tomorrow sometime. I set it up as a Router just by itself using the AXE11000 on the WAN side. (Easily done since it's already physically connected that way.) No 2.4 GHz signal ever....

jzchen wrote:
How's it going with yours? (This is your thread I apologize for the thread jack).

My CT8 nodes are still randomly loosing their 2.4GHz radio, sometimes it stays working for days, then looses it repeatedly every few hours. Sometimes it even shows the primary and guest 2.4GHz using different channels, which I would not think would be possible. No fix yet from ASUS, but its doubtful that it is hardware since more than one CT8 and an XT8 mode have done it (although the XT8 only did it once on earlier firmware).

ahfoo
Level 13
2.4 GHz channel always happed to caus disturbance due to too many channel being congested by other device such as micro wave, blutooth and other radio frquency. If you surrounding are including your neighborhood channel with the same frequency will cause a cross talk and made matter more complication. You need isolate channel frequency and match your node not disturb. You are not alone who having this issue in my opinion.

To bring closure to this topic, it turns out that the 2.4GHz radio was defective on both of my ZenWiFi CT8 routers/nodes. I sent them into ASUS for RMA under warranty and they were backlogged for parts, so they sent me a comparable model (pair of RT-AX92U) to replace the defective CT8s. I have not had any issues with the 2.4GHz signal dropping any more.