cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Mesh topology & LAN access

SherardG
Level 7
Hello guys,

Wanted to clarify a couple of things before pulling the trigger on buying a couple of RT-88Us / RT-86Us,

AI Mesh connects 2 AI Mesh capable routers together to bond and create on seamless network; without connecting any cables (whole point of wireless bridging) - in this case, I would like to ask for how the networking topology works;

1. Is a daisy chain connection possible? I.e. central router cannot connect to laundry room, but can connect to living room, so laundry room connects to living room node (based on AI Mesh illustrations on https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/they work in a hub-spoke config.

2. Primary router in location 1 connects to router in location 2. I plug in an NFS on location 2. Would I be able to access it wirelessly on location 1?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
1. AiMesh determines the best route possible automatically. So yes, but the consequence of that configuration is that there is always an extra hop to reach the main router.
2. Best to connect LAN devices to the primary router for optimal performance, but it will work in any case.
Remember to use the best router (AC88U) as the main router.