cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

97% Memory Utilization, GT-AXE16000 Firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506.

jzchen
Level 14
Well, I've shifted to beta firmware in the hopes that I get more stability, from the 3.0.0.4.388_22237. It does appear my nodes are not dropping out as much as they would prior. I noticed with the last firmware as well as this, almost completely used memory, whereas in the past I would see it at just slightly above 50%.
8 REPLIES 8

Saltgrass
Level 13
Mine is probably the same as it was before. I am wondering, since the small update came out after the Beta firmware and since you installed that first, could it have affected how it works.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jzchen
Level 14
Thanks for sharing that image. I probably should not have cut off the port connections, kind of arbitrary as I was trying to make it smaller so the site would accept it. Both 10G ports are connected on mine but yellow, (meaning I could improve the speed by connecting faster devices), as well as both USBs, (which are green). My 2.5 G WAN port is connected as well. This morning it's up to 2005 MB used. Yesterday network speed seemed laggy (ASUS web GUI pages) but today much better....

420Assassin
Level 9
Do you run any home servers? Home assistant, FTP, Security Cameras, and so on.

Also you could ssh into the router enter top command and see what's using up the memory.

420Assassin wrote:
Do you run any home servers? Home assistant, FTP, Security Cameras, and so on.

Also you could ssh into the router enter top command and see what's using up the memory.

@Saltgrass I do remember high memory use prior to switching from 3.0.0.4.388_22237. But I have two HDDs connected, one via USB and another via ethernet. I also have my Android phone connected as a Dual WAN failover mode. I don't remember it being this high before though, but it doesn't feel like performance is lagging so I am at peace.

I have been researching how to use ssh and will try it as soon as I figure out how. Thank you for the suggestion!

I can say the 9.0.0.6.102_3506 beta firmware is a lot more stable it seems with regards to AiMesh. Does anyone know if my running it helps ASUS tech somehow? Anyways I had to turn off and on the RT-AX86U to get it back online once, but that is mild compared to before. I did try to connect an iPhone as a Dual WAN backup, but I did not check if it showed as connected. I may try again soon, as I specifically swapped my Android for my mother's iPhone so I could tether the Android phone to the router. One new feature of the beta is being able to use an iPhone as a WAN device....

jzchen
Level 14
Whatever it was I just took a peek, my nodes are much more stable now, and memory use is down to 900 MB (44%).

I would suggest running this firmware over 3.0.0.4.388_22237.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Glad to see your memory went down. You run quite a bit more than I do so I could not judge it was not being reasonable. You are suggesting doing the minor update prior to the beta?

The iPhone situation is interesting, I do lose my ISP every now and then, like when AT&T was laying the 5 Gbps fiber and cut my cable.

I am fairly sure ASUS gets some feedback from the Betas. I might try it tomorrow.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jzchen
Level 14
Hmm. Well since I went from 3.0.0.4.388.21617 to 3.0.0.4.388.22237 to 9.0.0.6.102.3506 and things seem to be better, I guess it would be the safer route. Are you running 3.0.0.4.388.21617? I had the reported node dropping with that one. It did not seem to improve with 3.0.0.4.388.22237. I am surprised the 9.0.0.6.102.3506 is still a beta I am actually happy with it. My RP-AX56 actually has devices connect to it, meaning my FEIT smart dimmer light switch in the same room actually has good signal vs prior always connected to the den which had it around -79 dBm, (terrible signal although I confess it always responded to Alexa commands).

jzchen
Level 14
Let's see if I can still upload screenshots from the Android phone. On the iPhone and WebGUI my AXE11000 shows disconnected but I can see at least one printer that is connected via ethernet. (I actually have two connected to it but the other one tends to drop out when it goes to sleep even before I was using all these ASUS routers).