Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Power Behaviour - ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 GX650PY_GX650PY

danieliazzz
Level 7

System Information:

System Model: ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 GX650PY_GX650PY
Ram: 64 GB DDR5
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX with Radeon Graphics, 2501 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX4090 Laptop

Peripherals Plugged:
USB C Dock (Powered) - External Monitor, mouse keyboard

When laptop made to dock, meaning lid closed (yes, the setting in windows to do nothing with the lid has been closed has been enabled), power supplied from the 300w adapter to the GPU and CPU seems to not get utilized when the lid is closed. Considering that this laptop has adequate cooling from either the top (under the second screen) or the bottom and coupled with the fact that tempratures for the gpu never rose 60 Degrees Celcius and the CPU at 86 Degrees Celcius means that thermal limits were not the issue here.

Another indication that it seems to be a power issue is that when Modern Standby Assistant is on in ROG Armory Crate, The system tends to hibernate (when lid and screen is closed and connected to external monitor) mimicking the behavious when it is on batter power. When the setting is off when the lid is closed, the system seem to shut off it self to preserve power integrity. This would happened in the first place when the power limit by the system isnt limited or different when the lid is closed.

Running Cyberpunk in two different conditions. Running under an external monitor with the 300Watt adaptor plugged in in both conditions.

When Lid is closed - 12 FPS
When lid is opened - 88 FPS

Ultra settings.

The behavior indicates a power constraint when the lid is closed even though the power brick is connected.

Turning on GPU mode Ultimate, did not do a thing.

I hope Asus can fix this issue, i want to use my Laptop on a stand docking station for a clean setup. and use the laptop part of the device when gaming in a portable manner.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

1 REPLY 1

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @danieliazzz ,

When the setting "Do nothing when the lid is closed" is enabled, the computer still enters hibernate mode to prevent internal components from reaching excessively high temperatures and causing damage. This can result in decreased performance. Please refer to this link for more information.
I noticed that you are using an external monitor. We suggest setting the display to "Second screen only" and avoiding fully closing the laptop lid for usage. This information is provided for your reference. Thank you.