cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature differences between P cores on i9-13980HX

Bogus5
Level 12

In the Turbo power plan, the P-core 2nd and 3rd are sweating under load with a wide temperature discrepancy, the 2nd core the lowest, and the 3rd core the highest at an interval of 15-17°C.
I wonder if this is an anomaly or acceptable behavior for this CPU.
Core 3. relative to the other P cores is warmer by a few degrees, but acutely these differences are within some norm.
Does anyone also have similar observations?

9 REPLIES 9

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Bogus5 ,

Could you please share the laptop model and BIOS version you tested for our reference?
It's normal to have temperature differences between CPU cores under load. Could you let us know the actual temperatures or share the complete data from your tests? As long as the temperatures remain within safe operating limits and the CPU functions normally without any anomalies (such as freezing or lagging), there's generally no need for excessive concern. Please continue monitoring the temperatures within the safe range during usage. The information provided above is for your reference.

You do not understand, and the matter is simple, because adjacent P-type cores (second and third), are able to achieve temperatures that are separated by 15-17°C under load.
For example, the second core 80°C, and the third core 97°C.
At the same time, the other six P cores have temperatures of around 94°C, so the anomaly basically only affects the second core, which is surprisingly cool compared to the others.
So I don't know if this behavior of this CPU is normal or not.

Bogus5
Level 12

CB 2024-1.jpgCB 2024-1.jpg

Bogus5
Level 12

Model: ROG Strix G16 (2023) G614JI
BIOS: version 324.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Bogus5 ,

Thank you for providing the screenshot. Could you please use HWinfo to record a log for us to conduct further investigation? Please start recording the log 10 minutes before starting CINEBENCH and stop it 10 minutes after finishing CINEBENCH. Thank you.

I sent you the log file from HWiNFO.

Note the work of the P-core 1 and P-core 2 cores.

Bogus55
Level 7
@Anbby_ROG

Please respond on this issue.
Banning customers is a rather weak solution.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Bogus55 ,

I replied to your private message a week ago. I will message you again with the relevant information. Thank you.

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the Admin of the forum blocked my account "Bogus5" so I couldn't even receive a post on the forum.